Why do I keep getting Error 1053 when trying to start my Print Spooler?

DavidJBeach
DavidJBeach Member Posts: 5 New User

My Notebook is an Acer Aspire 5750 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The printer I'm trying to use is a Canon Pixma iP4700.

I've just replaced all of the ink cartridges but when I plugged it in to my comp it was invisible. After several restarts and numerous unplug/plug-ins, I tried reinstalling from the CD that came with the printer. No joy - apparently the Print Spooler was not operating.

So, into Administrative Tools/Services and opened the Properties of the Print Spooler. The status was 'stopped', the startup type was 'Automatic' and there were no Start Parameters shown. If it helps, the path to the spooler is C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe.

On clicking the Start button, I immediately get the following message: 

Windows could not start the Print Spooler service on local computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Does anyone out there understand what's occurring here? If so, please help.

Answers

• linvik
    linvik Member Posts: 13 New User

If I remember correctly there is a common issue with the print spooler service that sometimes freezes or sets it self to wrong values, which causes it to fail with different error messages.

You should be able to reset that service entirely (deleting the saved values), either through modifying the regedit, or to use the inbuilt command for it (not sure if it works in all scenarios)

Try to press WinKey+R, or go start-run

Type: CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

A black command window should appear with some text about it being successful.

After this, try to run your Canon CD

hopes this helps!

• linvik
    linvik Member Posts: 13 New User

oh, by the way, you will need to reboot the PC of course before it to take effect (since u are modifying reg entries)

• DavidJBeach
    DavidJBeach Member Posts: 5 New User

Many thanks for your prompt reply to my posted problem.

I did as you suggested - WinKey+R then CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

The resulting black command window with the following message:

[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:
    Access is denied.
    C:\Users\David J Beach>

I am the only user on this machine so by default, The administrator. Why would I be denied access?

Could my AVG security be blocking me for some reason?

This discussion has been closed.