- Removing CMOS Battry 

- Clear CMOS Jumper

What should I do?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

What happened?

What BIOS version?

What operating system came pre-installed on your computer?

If Windows 7 came pre-installed on your computer or you recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.....then you'll need to go in to BIOS settings and do this:

1. Disable Secure Boot

2. Make sure CSM is enabled (launch csm always)

3. Hit F10 to save and exit BIOS settings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Windows 8.1 originally came with your computer then you can either try to contact Acer support or take a look at AMIBOOT.ROM threads on this forum.  But if you don't know what happened, then it would be better to contact acer.

Also, if Windows 8.1 originally came pre-installed, you can try to reset bios to defaults.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34099/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQwNzE1NzIwL3NpZC9qUjRQa191bQ%3D%3D

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35410#_ga=1.189561384.2057293553.1440123875

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rusin
    rusin Member Posts: 4 New User

No screen output. BIOS setup is not possible.

maybe.... rom program need the original file.

• JordanB

What happened?

What BIOS version?

What operating system came pre-installed on your computer?

• rusin

Stupid update BIOS in Windows.

bios version - Do not know.

My version of Windows 7 Home.

Do you have files extracted from the normal motherboard BIOS?

• JordanB

???

I just followed the README instructions when I updated my two tc-605's.  I also updated the BIOS on my neighbor's tc-605.

I downloaded the latest bios file/package.  Extracted/unzipped it.  I copied the two extracted folders to a little USB thumb drive that I had previously formatted with fat32.  One of the folders is named ROM and the other is named Win. After I copied the two folders to the USB drive, I checked the drive letter of that USB drive because I knew I'd need it for the next step.  My USB drive letter was F.  I opened an admin command prompt, and typed

f:

cd win

flash

That's it.  I've flashed all three computers about 5 times over the last 12 months and never had any problems.  So I don't have a lot of experience with BIOS failure problems on tc-605

Maybe someone else can help.  However, I will tell you that someone with a similar computer to ours (with windows 7 like you) flashed the latest bios and then reset bios to defaults.  Unfortunately for him, the BIOS defaults are UEFI/GPT.  Since he was running Windows 7, he could no longer use his computer.  So he went in to BIOS settings and disabled secure boot, and then enabled "launch CSM always" and that fixed it for him.

If you still have problems, apparently there is some AMIBOOT.ROM feature for recovery.  But honestly I don't know your computer skills so I'm hesitant to give it to you since you're having so much trouble.  But here it is anyways.  Use this at your own risk.  And remember, the link I'm giving you is for a different computer model with a different BIOS version.  So you just need to use it as a reference.  If you have a geek friend, it might be better to let him/her help you.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire/BIOS-Update-Fail-Aspire-XC-603G-Win-8-1/m-p/367048#M1445

Good luck and here's acer's phone number.....

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• rusin

Thanks for answers. Let me know in detail how to use AMIBOOT.ROM.

Continue to have hope.

• JordanB

Hmmm.  A simple google search of "AMIBOOT.ROM" would have found this:

http://www.basicinputoutputsystem.com/AMI-BIOS-recovery.htm

Substitute "USB" for "floppy".

So I'm assuming you are a beginner computer user since you didn't know to google.  And a beginner internet user.  Again, my advice is to have a knowledgeable computer geek friend help you. 

Between the link I gave you in previous post and the link I gave you in this post, your friend should be able to assist you no problem.

At this point I don't think your computer is permanently bricked, but I think you need to have a geek friend help you...otherwise there's a good chance that you will permanently brick your computer......or I should say....it's going to cost you a lot of money to get it fixed if you attempt without your friend's assistance.

Edit: Alternate instructions (also found by using a simple google search of "AMIBOOT.ROM")

https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/ami-bios-recovery/

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

amiboot.rom will not work on TC-605 as far as i know.

first of al, it will be very difficult to help you, since you don't know the original BIOS version of your desktop....so...it's your own risk to find the right one.

if your TC-605 had windows 7 from factory, you have a choice on 2 BIOS:

P11.Ax

P11.Bx

you must format an USB flash drive to FAT32, take the BIOS image from the ROM folder, copy to the USB flash drive and rename it to  RCVBOOT.CAP (be sure to have extensions file name visible).

now plug the USB flash drive and power on your TC-605 and hope it will boot to recovery BIOS, if you still have a black screen, we are at a dead end.

• JordanB

@ironfly

where are you getting your information that AMIBOOT.ROM won't work on tc605?  Please share your sources. 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

JordanB wrote:

@ironfly

where are you getting your information that AMIBOOT.ROM won't work on tc605?  Please share your sources. 

i can't share the source. Smiley Wink

but you can easily find what's the correct name for a recovery BIOS, you just need the TC-605 BIOS, phoenix tool and let phoenix check the BIOS file, it will report the correct recovery BIOS name. 

• JordanB

Why not?  Why is it secret?