Windows 10 upgrade advisor Nvidia GeForce 6150 nForce 430 notice [Win 8.1 Pro on an Acer T180]

DKBurroughs
DKBurroughs Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello

I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro on my Acer T180. Working just fine, but did sign up for the free Windows 10 upgrade. Received my notice for the next step to download, but there was a message that the integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 GPU is incompatible to complete the download and install of Windows 10. Now as I understand it the Nvidia issue affected all video cards [add-ons and integrated] because of the Direct X 12 issue. From what I have read in other forums, I should be able to disable the integrated video card and install an acceptable add-on card and of course upgrade the OEM PSU to at least a 300 watt unit. Is this, in fact, an accurate assessment of a doable upgrade?

I had contacted Nvidia and I was told in their reply that I could not upgrade to Windows 10 as my motherboard would not be able to accept the upgrade. I took this to mean that they wanted me to buy one of their systems because the Windows 10 advisor should tell a user that their MB was incompatible, no?

Current Specs of Computer below:

NVIDIA System Information report created on:

08/06/2015 08:34:51

System name:

FCINTER

Operating System:

Windows 8.1 Pro, 32-bit

DirectX version:               

GPU processor:

GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Driver version:

DirectX support:

9.0c

Core clock:

425 MHz

Memory data rate:

1332 MHz

Memory interface:

32-bit

Total available graphics memory:

1663 MB

Dedicated video memory:

256 MB DDR1

System video memory:

0 MB

Shared system memory:

1407 MB

Video BIOS version:

IRQ:

Bus:

FPCI

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,016 Trailblazer

Hello,

You have a Nvidia nForce 430 chipset with a graphic controller integrated GeForce 6150SE.

I think this chipset is not compatible with Windows 10.

There is no driver on the Nvidia website for Windows 10 (nForce series 4).

France
  • DKBurroughs

Hi Laurent_14

Yes, you are right about there not being an updated driver, but that is not my question. My quiry is with disabling that chipset and installing an add-on GPU (plus a new PSU). The issue is with the conflicting positions on upgrading. Nvidia says it will not be possible because their stance is that the motherboard is not compatible, but Windows 10 update only refers to the integrated GPU as the issue. I have even gone to a pro shop and they tell that it is possible to upgrade based on the hardware modifications I want to do. I just asked in this forum to confirm one or the other stated positions. However, I do thank for your response.

Merci

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

I was able to sucessfully upgrade an older machine that had an alternate video card installed. You may get warnings about the onboard video, but you can ignore them and use your add-on card.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DKBurroughs

Hello billsey

when you say older machine, are you speaking of one about the same model/maker/year range?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Heh, the one I was talking about was vintage 2010 with a high end graphics card from a 2006 machine. I believe they are both older than what you are talking about.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.