Aspire Z3-615 can't connect to 5Ghz WIFI

lemonadepc
lemonadepc Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello everyone, i'm just curious. I currently have 2 wifi lines, one normal 2.4 and a 5ghz WIFI. 

However, my computer, the Aspire Z3-615 on windows 8, isn't able to read the 5ghz WIFI. 

My network adapter is qualcomm atheros ar956x 5ghz. 

I've been browsing around the forum, and am pretty sure that my adapter is a single channel, which i guess means it can't read 5g :/

My phones are able to connect, so i'm just wondering if there's any way to make it so that the computer can read 5g?

Thanks for the help :-) 

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

In the past, I have always just added a USB network adapter to a computer that needs 5 Ghz.

If it says b,g,n.......it will only work on 2.4 GHz

It must say a,b,g,n in order for it to work on both 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz.

So you have to read the product descriptions carefully and make sure you see "a,b,g,n"

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=dp_bc_5?ie=UTF8&node=13983791

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

I'm not sure if the link below is your computer, but if it is, it says b,g,n which means it lacks a 5 GHz radio.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-z3-615-all-in-one-computer-intel-core-i3-i3-4130t-2-90-ghz-desktop-black/1312219678.p?id=mp1312219678&skuId=1312219678

• lemonadepc
    lemonadepc Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply. Seems like my computer isn't able to read 5g then. I'll probably get the network adapter then. 

• Brooksy1882
    Brooksy1882 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

I wondered if I could ask someone for some assistance please?

Earlier this year I bought a Acer Z3-615 all in one computer. Since then a little (sorry VERY)  disappointed to find out the WIFI adapter does not support my dual band router and cannot receive the routers 5ghz signal?

Could anyone advise how then I can turn off the computers wifi signal but still tell the computer to receive another signal as after purchasing a 5ghz WIFI adapter, I can plug this into a USB 3.0 port and receive an improved WIFI signal this way…. unfortunately at the expense of losing a USB port space

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can simply disable the wifi adpater on windows.

right click on the network or wifi icon near clock and date, choose Open network and sharing center (you can reach it through windows control panel too)

on the left side of the new windows, click on Change adapter settings, now right click on your WiFi network adapter and choose Disable.

that's it.