Unable to upgrade my aspire one windows 7 netbook to windows 10

ESchaefferJr
ESchaefferJr Member Posts: 1 New User

I regisitered with mirco soft to get my free windows 10 upgrade. When I checked yesterday I received I message that my computer wasn't compatible with windows 10. I feel that the whole think was nothing but a PR stund by micro soft they really wanted this work they would have the patchs avilable for all window 7 and 8.1 computers to be updated. They just want you to force you to have to buy a new computer.

Answers

• sherryhoggle
    sherryhoggle Member Posts: 1 New User

I was able to upgrade both of my laptops but usually a netbook does not have enough installed memory for the windows 10 upgrade.  My netbook will not upgrade either but it doesn't have the memory.   It has to have at least 16gb of free memory installed.   Because of the size of netbook most do not have that much memory.   It was not a problem stunt by Microsoft as I and all of my family and friends have upgraded their laptops and desktops but not netbooks.  Just for the record I am speaking honestly because I am not a Microsoft fan at all.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

sherryhoggle wrote:

I was able to upgrade both of my laptops but usually a netbook does not have enough installed memory for the windows 10 upgrade.  My netbook will not upgrade either but it doesn't have the memory.   It has to have at least 16gb of free memory installed.   Because of the size of netbook most do not have that much memory.   It was not a problem stunt by Microsoft as I and all of my family and friends have upgraded their laptops and desktops but not netbooks.  Just for the record I am speaking honestly because I am not a Microsoft fan at all.

You are getting a little confused here, though the basics are right. What you mean to say is you need 16GB of free storage, not memory. For a 32bit Netbook, you need 16GB of disk space and 1GB of system memory at the minimum.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mrtyndall
    Mrtyndall Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello ACE ,

I have the same issue BUT I am trying to upgrade my Aspire One from XP 32-bit to windows 7 32-bit, which I was told is possible but I cannot find the download on the ACER website.

I tried to downloaded from a website that tried to download a virus along with it. and tried to hijack my computer.

Can you offer any help?  

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

The upgrade from XP to 7 is a package that you have to purchase, Microsoft never made it free and in fact don't allow a direct upgrade without manually reinstalling your apps and data. The official path is to first upgrade to Vista using a Vista upgrade license, then upgrading that to 7 using a Windows 7 upgrade license. There are software packages that make it easier to do a direct upgrade and I've had some success using Laplink's PC Mover. Depending on what you have installed on your XP machine you might find it easier to just do a new Windows 7 install (after backing up yopur data) and then reinstall the applications that you actually use.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.