No Dolby Digital 5.1 with AXC-603G-UW15

stewartdenton
stewartdenton Member Posts: 7 New User

My plan for the AXC-603G-UW15 was to use it as a media box. I am not able to get 5.1 or anything other than 2 channel audio out of the HDMI. If I switch it to 5.1 in sound settings, nothing plays at all... Any ideas?

Best Answer

• stewartdenton
    Answer ✓

I figured it out! I just wanted to put the solution to my issue up just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

When doing speaker setup, the 5.1 Surround audio test does not work and will not play audio to any of the speakers.

• The get 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS passthrough on the HDMI output (With KODI/XBMC or Windows Media Center) you must leave the speaker setup as Stereo.
    • Next, On the Advanced tab of the Sound Device properties, Both Exclusive Modes must be selected
    • KODI or Windows Media Center MUST be in full screen mode (Not full screen window)

Setup with the above and DD5.1 or DTS content will pass through to the AVR

Hope this helps someone down the road...

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

What operating system?  Windows 10?

This may seem like an obvious suggestion, but have you tried restarting the computer?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • stewartdenton

It still has windows 8.1. I've rebooted multiple times. I've updated the intel chipset driver that is available on the Acer site. For some reason it just seems that the HDMI output on this cannot support 5.1. Has anyone with this series downgraded to windows 7 and had luck with 5.1 Audio?

• JordanB

1. Download the Intel Driver Update Utilty from Intel's website

2. Go to Device Manager and uninstall/delete your graphics driver

3.  Run the Intel Driver Update Utility

Note: If you have installed multiple graphics drivers on top of each other, you may have to repeat step two more than once. 

• stewartdenton

Is the key to using the intel driver update utility, uninstalling the existing driver? I've attempted to use intels utility without uninstalling but got a message saying it was not compatible and to get the driver from the manufacturer.

• JordanB

All three steps are key. 

• stewartdenton

I've followed those steps and now have the newer driver working. Still only able to get 2 channel audio to pass. I can select 5.1 in sound settings but get no audio during tests. Any other ideas?

• stewartdenton

Just finished updating the BIOS. Still no 5.1.

The properties shows it supports Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD

Acer Supported formats.png

The Speaker setup gives options for 5.1 Configuration but the only config I can get to play audio is Stereo. My receiver suppports Dolby Digital and DTS and other devices connected work fine.

Acer Speaker setup.png

Thanks for your help so far. Any other ideas?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the speaker setup is from which playback device?

• stewartdenton

It is from the intel Audio device

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you right click on playback devices, choose HDMI, can you click on Configure?

By the way the Dolby software you have installed is for the Realtek audio chipset not for HDMI and i don't know if HDMI is managed by Intel VGA or AMD VGA.

• stewartdenton
    Answer ✓

I figured it out! I just wanted to put the solution to my issue up just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

When doing speaker setup, the 5.1 Surround audio test does not work and will not play audio to any of the speakers.

• The get 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS passthrough on the HDMI output (With KODI/XBMC or Windows Media Center) you must leave the speaker setup as Stereo.
    • Next, On the Advanced tab of the Sound Device properties, Both Exclusive Modes must be selected
    • KODI or Windows Media Center MUST be in full screen mode (Not full screen window)

Setup with the above and DD5.1 or DTS content will pass through to the AVR

Hope this helps someone down the road...