Elan touchpad not working in Windows 10 - Aspire ES1-711-P14W

AvidSurvivalist
AvidSurvivalist Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Aspire ES1-711-P14W and have build 10240 of Windows 10 and the Elantech touchpad does not function in 10, This is not a hardware issue because it functions fine in Windows 8.1. I have tried the drivers from acer, looked in the bios for anthing mouse related. It does not show up in the device manager, when I unplug my Logitech mouse the "Mouse and Other Pointing Devices" tab dissapeares. It looks like Windows 10 is not even loading a generic driver. When I unplug my external mouse the cursor dissapeares as well.

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• M-G
    M-G Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a Aspire S7-392-9439 and I have the same problem after installing Windows 10.

Type Mouse into the Start Menu and run the mouse control panel.  Go to ELAN Tab on Mouse Properties.

The problems I see are that

1) the "Enable Device" is ghosted (whether or not any external devices are plugged in)

2) "Disable when external USB pointing device plug in" is checked, even after I uncheck it and Restart.  it sets this back to "checked" status no matter what.

If I click on "Enable Device" it runs the driver software, however the two buttons don't work.  i.e. left button, right button.  You can move the pointer around just fine using the Touchpad as normal.  Also, multi-finger gestures don't work like two finger scrolling, etc..

Also when you click on Options to bring up the "Elan Smart Pad" options for the Touchpad.  You will notice that this button does nothing!!!

I have noticed that after setting things up correctly and Restarting Windows 10, and logging in as normal, the touchpad will operate correctly for a few seconds.  I can move the pointer around and close Explorer windows that are open, for example.  However, as system tray icons continue to load in and other programs start up e.g. Sticky Notes and so on... the touchpad breaks down and you can't see any pointer or get anything done.  Something breaks it after it was working!

The ELAN software is simply not finished off for Windows 10... it needs to be finished off ASAP as our computers are somewhat broken.

• atfreds
    atfreds Member Posts: 3 New User

SAME HERE,

i use a acer S5750G and touchepad won't work propperley tryed all the drivers i could find.

it makes me crazy mad.

going back to windows 7

thanks microsoft for noting.....

Fred

• AvidSurvivalist

Tinkerer

Just installed the "new" drivers from acer and they do not help.

• atfreds
    No will not work properly, scroll don't work!
    All ready back to window 7.

And happy again
  • atfreds
    Did my reading. And you have to burn a new bios. And update a lot of firmware. On the Acer site it is not very clear to rrad, wich bios for my machine Acer 5750G i need.

So sorry
  • hichem
    hichem Member Posts: 5 New User

me too i have acer aspire e1-572 i can scroll down with 2 finger but gestures with 3 finger doesn't work
    but in windows 8.1 i can use 3 finger gestures so why!?!?

• edvett
    edvett Member Posts: 3 New User

In my Aspire E1-571-6462, after Windows 10 (from 8.1), I've lost just the right side vertical scroll bar (and also horizontal scroll) in touchpad, which is very bad.

Meanwhile, scrolling with pointer at window right scroll bar or two fingers in touchpad. Only vertically.

Remaining functions in touchpad are ok (zoom, pointer, clicks, etc.).

Will be happy and thanked for any solution.

• hichem

what about 3 finger gestures ??

• edvett

I´ve never used 3 finger gestures, unknown for me, what are the use(s) of them?

I've tried some 3F gestures but didn´t get any functions different from 2 fingers.

• hichem

the 3 finger gesture to previous page and the next when you slide with 3 finger left or right and also when you put 3 finger you can launch an application that you can be chosen and also when you slide to high, you can put in full screen or to page down you can go back to the office ...

sorry for my bad english Smiley Happy

• pasterzppp
    pasterzppp Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi I also have Acer E1-571G and after update do win 10 i also lost some function in touchpad Elan Tech Smart Pad. I ve looked internet but i dont find solution. Its really annoying.

• Cyberwitch
    Cyberwitch Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an M5-583P, after upgrading to win10 i lost half the options on the touchpad, i used to be able to use left click as middle click, now i can't. touch zones are gone too.

• AvidSurvivalist

Tinkerer

I think Acer needs to put out some BIOS/UFEI updates because I think most issues may be BIOS related.

• pasterzppp

I hope not because my E1-571G isn't on list to windows 10 support, (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models) and i dont know why, weakest notebook get driver/BIOS update my not.

• Foxxo
    Foxxo Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi! I just created an account here, at acer community

I have installed Windows 10 an hour ago and noticed that my touchpad wasn't working. Just rollback'd the ELAN pointing device driver and problem solved, lol. Didn't install anything. Hope this works for you :3

2 finger gestures working, too.

• hichem

also work for me the 2 finger gestures  , but there are in windows 10  3 finger gestures to navigate between the virtual desktop but does not work.

in Windows 8.1 there are also 3 finger gestures but it works so why!

• peachmold
    peachmold Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Aspire V5-471 and I'm having touchpad issues too. I updated the driver and restarted my computer but my gestures seem to be missing. The only 2 finger gesture I have is scrolling. Anyone know how to fix this?

• pasterzppp

peachmold

We all have the same problem and still nobody know solution.

• edvett

Good hint, Foxxo. I did the same (back to previous driver) and despite not having all older functions on Win 8.1, the basic main functions are back: vertical scroll bar (important for me), pointer movement, left and right buttons, zoom. Elan software screens are also back and several older functions appear but simply do not obey to definitions. Thank you. Waiting for Microsoft, Acer and/or Elan solutions.

• andyrewkirk
    andyrewkirk Member Posts: 5 New User

Search acer support, win10 drivers now online. I had same problem but have updated my drivers and all works fine