Aspire E14 ES1-411 Elan touchpad and Windows 10

ShowsOn
ShowsOn Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

I just wanted to pass on to Acer support that I was unable to install the Windows 10 preview build 1030 on my ES1-411-C1WD with the touchpad set in the UEFI to Advanced mode. If I left it on Advanced mode, Windows 10 installation would not have a mouse cursor and at one point just locked up. I had to change the setting to BASIC mode in order to get Windows 10 preview to install. If I change the setting to Advanced mode, Windows 10 loads but without a cursor, so I am left using the touchpad in Basic mode.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi ShowsOn,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your teouchpad. For the sake of troubleshooting we would need to do that under Windows 8/8.1 to determine if there is a hardware issue. We're still a few weeks from releasing supported product list for Windows 10, but I would expect that once that's out it will easier to get drivers.

Cory

• ShowsOn

Hi

The touchpad works fine with Advanced mode turned on in Windows 8.1. The problem is simply with Windows 10 that will not install with the UEFI set to Advanced mode and will not show a mouse cursor if Advanced mode is turned on.

To use Windows 10 I had to set it to basic mode.

Maybe a BIOS update would fix this?

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Ok good to hear that the hardware is known to be good. I've made teams internally aware of this thread, I haven't gotten a response, but I suspect they'll come back and state that we'll need to wait until we're closer to Windows 10 actual release before BIOS and drivers become available for 10.

Cory

• ShowsOn

Hi

Just a follow up to say that build 1059 of Windows 10 Preview still has the same problem. The trackpad works in BASIC mode, but if the computer is booted with the trackpad set in the BIOS to ADVANCED mode then Windows 10 loads without a cursor.

Also there are some devices that are missing drivers in the device manager. See this:

devicemanager.jpg

• ShowsOn

Another update:

I'm now running Build 10166. Last night Windows 10 installed an Elantech touchpad driver update. With this update installed I can now boot Windows 10 with the touchpad set to Advanced mode. There is now a cursor when I do so, however, if I click the Start button it does not open. I am back to using Basic mode.

So it seems the new driver has solved the missing cursor issue, but it causes other problems.

• ShowsOn

Hi!

I have now had a chance to update to build 10240 and am happy to report that the trackpad now works in Advanced mode in Windows 10!

I managed to get most of the missing driver messages to go away by installing the Intel TXE Windows 8.1 driver, from here:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TXE/TXE_Intel_1.1.0.1064_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635499727098158982&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20ES1-411&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=AAP_10

However, there is still one unknown device that is missing a driver. It would be greatly appreciated if Acer could investigate what it is so I can install the appropriate driver. See here:

devicemanager.jpg

• ShowsOn

It seems the issing device was for the "Intel Sideband Fabric Device Driver", so now my Device Manager shows all devices with drivers.

I strongly encourage Acer to work with Microsoft so the TXE and Sideband Fabric Device have drivers install automatically.

• ShowsOn

While everything seems to be working fine with the Touchpad in Windows 10, yesterday Windows update found a new Elan touchpad driver, so it seems Elantech and / or Microsoft have been working to make the touchpad that this computer uses work better with Windows 10.

• afuiw
    afuiw Member Posts: 1 New User

Had a similar problem here.

Clean install of Windows 10 in UEFI mode from USB had no touchpad during installation and inital setup. After a few Windows updates and restarts, I installed the Intel GPIO driver and the touchpad came back a few minutes later.

Hopefully this helps someone.

*Edit: Didn't change any BIOS settings related to Touchpad so it was probably in Advanced mode

• illumination
    illumination Member Posts: 3 New User

Sorry, realise this is very old, but do you recall where you got the Intel GPIO driver? Doesnt' seem to be in the list of drivers. Are you referring to the IO drivers? I'm having trouble installing them. It gives me this error message.