Touch screen not recognising pen

vickis
vickis Member Posts: 5 New User
I have an Acer Aspire R 13 R7-371T-76HR running Windows 8.1. Touch works fine, but I've recently bought an Acer Active stylus/pen and the computer is not recognising it at all. In the back of my mind I have a recollection that I might have turned 'pen' off when I first got the laptop because I didn't have a pen, but that may have been something else as I've tried to find where I might have turned it off so I can turn it on again, but have had no success. Can anyone make a suggestion that may help, please? Vicki

Answers

• Shinichy_Kudo
    Shinichy_Kudo Member Posts: 355 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi! Nice to meet you.

In this case to set up a stylus, I recommend entering the following link and see the possible solutions to configure properly.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/427/~/how-to-calibrate-touch-in-windows-7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/touch-pen-settings-faq

I hope you find it useful information and can make the stylus function.

Regards. Smiley Very Happy

• vickis

Hello and thank you very much for your prompt response. 

I have already been to the Tablet and Pen and touch settings screens.  The tablet calibration and configuration options for a pen do not recognise the pen and I cannot see any other options for turning the pen 'on'.  I've tried 'waking up' the pen by pressing on its button in various ways while it's close to the screen, but that makes no difference.  The pen comes with a new, sealed battery, and I've checked it's inserted the correct way around.

Vicki

• vickis

Somehow, when I came to try the pen this morning, it started working for the very first time!  I did do a reboot yesterday, but the pen was not working after that. I've no idea what I did to 'wake' it, which is of no help to anyone else, unfortunately.

The device doesn't appear in the device manager under its own name, however there is an "HID-compliant pen" and a "Synaptics HID device" - I'm almost certain the latter was not there before.

Vicki