Acer chromebook display won't mirrow after connecting HDMI to TV, hot key ctrl + display useless

Ann259
Ann259 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Acer chromebook display won't mirrow after connecting HDMI to TV, hot key ctrl + display doesnt work either

contacted chromebook support on google chromebook, - no help!

Please help, unable to watch youtube videos on TV anymore

Thank you

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi Ann259,

With HDMI connecting the chromebook and the TV, go into Chrome:settings and take a look at your display options there. You have a bit more control with these options to control what you want each source to be doing.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• Ann259

i tried that too, no difference

• Cory-Acer

For clarification, it did work and now it's not? Are you signed in on a google account or are you using guest mode?

I guess I'd start with a powerwash then just to make sure something isn't preventing it from working the way we thought it would. Heres the steps: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27649/

Let me know if this helps,
    Cory

• Ann259

thank you very much I will try to do powerwash tomorrow !

• Ann259

powerwash didn't help Smiley Sad

• Cory-Acer

Ann,

I feel like we're missing something simple, though I don't have the answer. Of course if possible try another TV, make sure there isn't an issue with the HDMI coming from the TV, and test the HDMI cable to make sure it works on some other setup (cable box, desktop computer, etc...)

I would then suggest contacting support, it could be the HDMI port on the chromebook itself, but those don't normally just fail.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• Ann259

If i insert back and forth few times, it's start working, but I got to do that every time about 10-2- times ! LOL

Why do you think it's happening?

Thank you

• Cory-Acer

I'm not real sure to be honest. Could it be a faulty HDMI port on the Chromebook, sure, but I feel that it's just as likely a faulty HDMI port on the TV as well as potentially a faulty HDMI cable. I guess I would suggest tackling any one of those 3 in whatever order is most convient for you.

For the TV, try another one. If another TV picks up the Chromebook 1st time all the time, you know the issue is with the TV.

For the HDMI cable, try another one. http://www.monoprice.com is great for cheap HDMI cables if you don't have access to another one.

For the Chromebook, if you have another HDMI device to try with the TV/Cable and it works, then I would suggest getting the Chromebook serviced.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• Ann259

I tried with other laptop, my Acer chromebook, doesn't mirror display to TV, cable and TV working good, please give me Acer manufactory address so I can shipp to them to fix, thank you

• Cory-Acer

Ann,

Here is the contact page for the US: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Cory

• makneyse
    makneyse Member Posts: 2 New User

Just recently my Chromebook's HDMI port quit working but I think I found the solution. Let me know if this solves your issue, as well.

With my laptop already on, I would plug in the HDMI cable and the image would pop up on the TV. This is no longer the case BUT if I do one of the following, it seems to work:

With the laptop off, plug in the HDMI cable, then turn on the laptop. 

OR

If the laptop is already on and the cable is plugged in (but there is no image on the TV) switch users (as in who is logged into the computer).

Hopefully this works for you! And if anyone knows why my HDMI port only works this way now, please let me know.

Thanks and good luck!

LTD,

Mark

• Cory-Acer

Hi Mark,

Were you able to go into the chrome:settings and under display have it start displaying to the HDMI port?

I'm not specifically aware of a change, but the Chrome OS may have made a small change that stopped the external display ports from pushing without user interaction.

Cory

• luchinb
    luchinb Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having the same proble. Just bought an acer chrome book less than a month ago and I love it. Today 06/01/15 tried to connect to tv using the hdmi output and when plugged in. the movie i wanted to watch does not display on tv. It just displays the home screen with the ocean setting. Tried my other acer(laptop) and works fine. So it's not the tv or the cable. Any ideas. This is the first time i try hdmi in this chrome.

Thanks.

• makneyse
    makneyse Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey luchinb, try dragging the window from your laptop to the right. It should then appear on the TV. I hope this helps!

• luchinb
    luchinb Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you. I'll give it a try when I get home this afternoon.

• Licostie
    Licostie Member Posts: 1 New User

I have two Acer Chromebooks, one a C720 and they both did the same thing at the same time, HDMI suddenly stops working.  Tried different cables without success and even put them on a different TV WITH success...since I have a Samsung TV I searched their forums and found someone that suggested unplugging all HDMI cables and then unplugging the TV from the wall for at least 10 minutes.

Much to my surprise this actually worked, turns out it was the TV itself!

I could kind of tell because the TV would say "no cable connected" when I had it unplugged but when I plugged it in, it then said "no signal".

I hope this helps, remember to unplug all HDMI cables before unplugging the TV for 10 minutes and it will reset some setting in the TV that allows you to connect to your chromebook as you did before. Smiley Happy

• germarwatts
    germarwatts Member Posts: 2 New User
    these are old comments
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    @germarwatts Do you have a similar issue today? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• paalomino
    paalomino Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited December 2018
    Hello.  I am having a similar problem. My Acer Chromebook used to have an option to mirror the display with my Westinghouse LCD TV.  It worked perfectly well until a few months ago.  I am now trying to troubleshoot this issue again.  I have tried unplugging the TV, then removing the HDMI cables for ten minutes before plugging everything in again.  The TV is on with the "no signal" message displaying. When I go into Settings>Devices>Displays, there is a section called "Arrangements" that indicates that the current setting is"Internal Display".  I don't see any options to add an additional display and to set up mirroring.  Will it be necessary to restore the Chromebook back to factory settings using Powerwash, or do I need to install a Chrome Extension?  I'm searched and can't find one for this purpose.  The TV has worked fine and I have not changed anything on either the ACER or the TV.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Thank you.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
     paalomino Did you push the HDMI button on the TV? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ