ACER Aspire E 15 drops internet connection continuously

txlonestar77
txlonestar77 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I just purchased an ACER Aspire E 15 (Es1-512-C12D) from Fry's last week.  Since the purchase, my laptop internet connection drops continuously and I am unable to reconnect for long periods of time.

Router has been checked and rebooted.  My husband has an older ACER laptop and is having no problems.  All other devices at home can connect to same router with no problem.

I have researched this and apparently this is an ongoing issue for some ACER laptops. 

I found one suggestion, update the network driver.  I attempted this but it said I had the latest update.

I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter.  The most recent update given is 4.2.2014.

Please help.  I am about to return this laptop and purchase a different brand.

txlonestar77

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

As your computer is under warranty, it is recommended to take it back to the seller to get the issue resolved. Before doing this, if you wish to visit nearest Acer service center to check the issue, the following link can be helpful:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/contacts

Hope this will help you.

• techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter

since you just purchased this I would take it back, but be aware a lot of manufacturers use this particular wifi adapter due to its low cost for production, your problem is very common issue as I to have experienced this and use a usb wifi adapter to connect, improved speed of connection is what I achieved as well no more drop connection problems, to get away from Qualcomm issue you need to probably look at systems that use Intel wifi as users commonly report a better satisfaction, some laptops give the end user the ability to change the wifi card but not all as most are soldered to the motherboard, depends on your price point when you purchase.

• txlonestar77
    GuruAid-CS & Techy thank you for your quick response. I'm very disgusted at this product but more so with Acer. I'm angry at myself for not doing more research but we've never had problems with Acer products before.

I now realize others have had this problem for the last 2+ years and apparently Acer has made no attempt to correct it.

I am returning this laptop today. I'm not a gamer. I'm a teacher who needs one to support instructional activities.

Acer has definitely lost a customer!
  • Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi txlonestar77,

I'm sorry that you had to deal with wireless issues right out of the box on your new laptop. I get the frustration and we all want things to just work, especially when they cost several hundred dollars.

With that said, we are constently improving drivers and support where we can, even if we don't do the best job of stating our progress publicly. I think you could take any computer, whether it's Acer's or another manufacture and google "wireless connection issue on XXX model", even one's you've not had issues with on your home network. That doesn't make it entirely acceptable, but I hope it does provide some context. There are a lot of variables to wireless that can cause problems and while not commonplace, it is not unheard of to hear of compatibility issues between a router and specific devices, even with other devices connected to the router. Firmware updates can help, and I've seen a few cases where a device just does not play nice.

I'm not sure where you were trying to update the driver from, but if you still have the device, you may want to try this driver.

Wireless LAN Atheros Wireless LAN Driver 10.0.0.288 266.6 MB 2014/11/25

Download

Regards,

Cory

• txlonestar77

Thank you Cory for your response.

The updated driver you included in your message is the one that is currently installed in my computer -

Wireless LAN  Atheros  Wireless LAN Driver  10.0.0.288  266.6 MB  2014/11/25

The version numbers match.  The only difference is the driver date.  Mine indicates 2014/04/02

When I attempt to update yourdriver, I get a message that it is up to date and it allows me to go no further. 

Any other ideas? 

txlonestar77

• techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter

windows update posted a newer driver you could try version 10.0.0.315 to see if that helps, also disable the power management for this device in the device manager of windows by removing the check mark in the Qualcomm device driver, see if that helps.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

txlonestar77 wrote:

Thank you Cory for your response.

The updated driver you included in your message is the one that is currently installed in my computer -

Wireless LAN  Atheros  Wireless LAN Driver  10.0.0.288  266.6 MB  2014/11/25

The version numbers match.  The only difference is the driver date.  Mine indicates 2014/04/02

When I attempt to update yourdriver, I get a message that it is up to date and it allows me to go no further. 

Any other ideas? 

txlonestar77

From a troubleshooting standpoint, you could try it on other networks, maybe a coffee shop or something. If you see different results it could lend credence to the potential that the router or the router settings are causing an issue. At home you could remove other devices from your home network and try just the Acer device. Try changing channels and frequencies in your routers settings (you'd have to refer to their user guides on how to do so) in case there is just to much traffic.

Here is an article that may help with the 2nd suggestion: http://www.howtogeek.com/105174/analyze-optimize-your-wireless-network-with-wi-fi-analyzer-for-android/

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• MMitch
    MMitch Member Posts: 1 New User

It's April 2017 and the same problem persists (my computer Aspire E5-575G-53VG)...  you would think Acer or Atheros would have figured this out.  I've been dealing with this for months.  My Acer has the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter.  Wifi drops, reconnects intermitently.  Done everything suggested to no avail.  Driver is up to date.  I've tested on other networks, same problem.  Removed the control for turning the adapter off when not in use, problem remians.  The only thing that seems to have worked is change the power plan to "high performance."  Now the battery time is 1/3 to 1/2 of what it was.  I used to be able to run 10-12 hours on a good charge....  Any new ideas?

• bomberb17
    bomberb17 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have an Acer Aspire E15 E5-574G-54Y2 with Atheros QCA9377 and Windows 10 Pro, and facing the same problem. At home I'm connected to my 5Ghz network and everything was running smoothly, but now I'm away for the holidays and when I'm connected to 2.4Ghz networks, the connection suddenly drops for no reason. It won't come back, and I cannot scan any networks (including the one I was connected to) unless I go to "Network Connections", right click on the QCA9377 adapter and select "Diagnose", or disable/enable/change driver from the Device Manager. I tried with many drivers, starting from 12.0.0.203 up to 12.0.0.722 (as well as the one from Microsoft) and same problem happens. "allow computer to turn off device to save power" is disabled. Played with various options in the advanced tab in the device manager but same problem. I connected an external Alfa wireless NIC which works perfectly. The same problem occurs in two different networks in different areas, where all my phones/tablets work perfectly. Any thoughts on solving this?