Keyboard types wrong letters, numbers, symbols, etc...

linscrawf
linscrawf Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I have an Acer Chromebook and recently spilled some water on it.  In my panic, I quickly wiped down the keyboard and all was still well and working.  I noticed then that whenever I tried to type anything, completely different letters or numbers or random symbols would show up.  I'm guessing that as I wiped down the keys and pressed them down at once, it did something to change the keyboard.  And to add to this problem, I can't even sign into my laptop as it's password protected, and I can't type my password in correctly.  Is this something that I can fix myself easily? 

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi linscrawf,

Here is an article with 2 ways of performing a powerwash before signing into Chrome. http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27649

This should reset the device (removing any unsaved data) and any potential settings or key combo's that you may have it.

It still requires some keystrokes, but they shouldn't also intiate other keystrokes. If they are, or after performing the powerwash you still have this issue it would likely indicate that the liquid spill is affecting the circuity below and multiple keystrokes are being detected.

I hope this helps,
    Cory

• kholdaway
    kholdaway Member Posts: 1 New User
    I appreciate, in advance, any helpful suggestions and/or information.  My acer sw5-173 keyboard types wrong letters from the right side of the keyboard.  I have had so many problems with acer that I may purchase a different brand.  Please help, if possible...
    Thank YOU
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    If you had a spill like the original poster then likely there are contaminants between the layers of the keyboard matrix. I don't believe your Swift has a keyboard that disassembles, so you will likely have to replace it. If you haven't had a spill then the only thing I can think of that doesn't also involve a replacement keyboard is the battery. If it's located on that side and is starting to bulge it might be squeezing the membranes together.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.