acer aspire v5 hinge/cracked touchscreen

cassiex345
cassiex345 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi,

I have an acer aspire v5 touch screen laptop.

The other day the hinge became loose on the laptop causing the top panel of the bottom half of my laptop to pop off and crack the touch screen all the way across the screen. So now I can't use the touch screen and the touchpad also won't work so I have to use a mouse. 

I was wondering if there have been any other known problems with the hinges on acers? 

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

I am not aware of any specific issues with hinges on the V5 series. My recommendation is to contact Acer technical support in your region, to inquire what service options are available for your system.

• krebbin
    krebbin Member Posts: 9 New User

Same thing happened to a client of mine. She (70 years old) had only had the laptop 6 months.

Amazon didn't want to know and Acer said there was no manufacturing problem - so tough.

I'm now trying to find out what the problem is and try to rectify it. But I think the response she got was appalling.

• zodiac
    zodiac Member Posts: 2 New User

The same thing has just happened to my v5 715, when i opened the top the screen cracked by the left hinge it looks like the surround has become loose, when i have looked under the laptop i can see one of the screws by the hinge is missing, this seems to be a common fault in the manufacture of these laptops,and of course mine is just out of warranty Smiley Frustrated

• krebbin

I'm about to dismantle this thing to see a: if it's fixable and b: why it went in the first place. I'll let you know.

• zodiac
    zodiac Member Posts: 2 New User

Ive taken one of the screws out of the hardrive cover and replaced the one that is missing from the hinge with it, this has sorted the hinge out but im still left with a cracked screen that keeps moving the cursor randomly all over the place so i need a new screen but i still feel this has happened to too many people to be coincedence, it is obviously a design fault and i think acer should replace the screen FOC

• Debbied01
    Debbied01 Member Posts: 3 New User

Opened my laptop and the hinge broke... Acer is saying it is from mis-use.. How can that be if all I did was open it???

• krebbin

Hi Debbie,

This is exactly what we've been telling them. I'm afraid Acer just don't seem to care:-(

• krebbin

So I managed to remove the 2 screws near the broken hinge. I then needed to strengthen that corner somehow, so needed a metal "bracket" that would span both screw holes and therefore share the stress.

I couldn't quite believe that in my junk drawer I found an old clockwork key that had the holes in the right place. A quick hacksaw to the key end and my bracket was ready.

Having found 2 slightly longer screws that fit I then proceeded to apply epoxy glue to the broken and damaged areas and then screwed the bracket inplace, leaving the glue to cure for 2 days. It's been fine for weeks now.

IMG_20141117_134330.jpg

• krebbin

Sorry folks, I'd have liked to put up the whole sequence of photos but have been prevented by the restrictions of this forum.Robot tongue

• CapnBlaze
    CapnBlaze Member Posts: 1 New User

Can you post it to a youtube video or something and link it here? That would be helpful and appreciated.

• Debbied01
    Hi. Just an update.
    I received my computer back from ACER and a bill that increased from $198.009 to over $300.00. I went to pick up my laptop from the computer shop and found that ACER had sent my laptop back with the hinge not connected properly hence smashing my screen. I refused to accept my laptop back and the shop went into bat for me. Received my laptop and all repairs done without any cost to me... They are dirty!' Their actions caused my screen to smash and they'd wanted me to pay for it. I will never buy an ACER again!!
  • Debbied01
    They cared when I started talking Office of Fair Trading lol Smiley Happy
  • gregpage92
    gregpage92 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, this has happened to me too! Bottom left-hand corner; it's sent cracks accross my screen and the touch screen function no longer works. Other than that it functions fine. As this has happened to a few people surely Acer will have to concede the problem and offer to fix this / provide a new laptop for free? My warranty is out btw, however I've had the laptop less than 2 years - I'd expect a life of expectancy of at least 5 years. In lieu of a warranty, because the goods are faulty, the Sales of Goods Act can be relied on, right?

• krebbin

Hi Greg, sorry to hear you too have this problem. The pressure mounts on Acer, but they seem unwilling to concede that the problem is a manufacturing one, even though all the evidence is there.

You could try taking out a small claims order against them or get them on the sale of goods act. None of that will give you a quick solution though.

The one I fixed lasted for a few months and now the screen is playing up, probably due to the screen cable becoming loose, so I have to disassemble it again.

It would be nice to get someone at Acer to respond officially to this problem. But they appear not to have the courage and are hiding behind a giant corporate pillow!

Colin.

• gregpage92

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. Not recognising a clear manufacturing fault like this is absurd. Thankfully I'm not suffering any problems with the laptop, other than a cracked non-functioning touchscreen screen and a faulty hinge. I'll contact Acer and if they don't offer me a free solution I'll go via the small claims court; I don't think they have a leg to stand on in light of the frequency of this fault.

The irony is that it'd be in their interest to fix my computer, because other than this fault, it's been great - if they were to fix it I'd be sure to buy an Acer next time, which would undoubtably cost more than the repair costs!!

Regards

Greg

• sunnypm
    sunnypm Member Posts: 2 New User

Yep, I have the same problem with the left hinge. So far I've been babying it, and my screen is still intact. I'm just now searching for a fix, and hope someone has found one. I don't want to tackle taking this thing apart, unless I get some good guidance, and a part is available for a good fix.

• nukem
    nukem Member Posts: 1 New User

One more unhappy person!!!

Same thing happened to me, the left hinge broke and the screen torqued but thankfully i realized it was bending before anything bad happened to the screen. I haven't tried talking to acer support, because frankly it sucks. When it black screened after the windows 8.1 upgrade, they redirected me and I ended up with no solution at the end after an hour of talking to them. Duct tape seems to be holding out pretty well for now, but i doubt it'll hold out for long. Here are some pictures:

FrontBack

• gregpage92

Mine is all taped up too Smiley Sad You can also see the hairline crack that's gone the length of the screen on the second photo. I'm so busy at the moment a need my laptop so I'm worried that I'm going to have to send it off to Acer for an assessment - hence I haven't contacted them about this yet. But the more people comment on this forum with the same problem, the more persuasive our case becomes for a free repair. IMG_5082.JPGIMG_5083.JPG

• krebbin

The owner of the V5 I tried to repair has just given it back to me. She says she's not prepared to spend any more on it, now that the screen is constantly flickering.

This laptop is under 2 years old and never left her house.

The flickering appears to be due to damage to the right, bottom corner of the screen near the hinge. there's no physical evidence, it happens if I just touch the screen.

Removing the screen is quite easy, as long as you make sure to disconnect the mic and webcam connectors at the top before pulling it away. There are service manuals available on the web to show you how to do this.

I've ordered a new screen and am hoping the inverter hasn't also been damaged. (I thought they were old tech, haven't seen one in a while!).

I still maintain that this is a badly assembled laptop. The screws are too small, only go in a thread or two ('cos it's slimline).

Tha chassis plastics aren't strong enough, and the screen is so flimsy you can almost bend it in half (well not quite, but thay must have known there'd be trouble with this design).

I'd say any low weight, slim laptop worth buying has to cost at least twice the price of this one, if it's going to last. You don't get these complaints with similar Sony, Dell or Apple Air products.

Cheap and nasty.

col.

• bigdaddio45
    bigdaddio45 Member Posts: 2 New User

Same thing here. Left corner screw under the monitor hinge came out. Top of the keyboard case lifted up and when the top was closed, the screen cracked. Random ghost touches on the screen now make this laptop unusable. I am trying to contact Acer given this is clearly a major design flaw.

[edited to comply with guidelines]