No Sound From Speaker but Sound returns when Headphones are plugged in

Shyninja
Shyninja Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I have a Acer ASpire V3-572G
When I unplugged my headphones the audio didn't switch over to my speakers. When I replugged my headphones the sound returned ony through the headphones.

Things Ive tried
Checked in playback devices to see if speakers were checked as default audio
Reinstalled and updated my Realtek Audio drivers.

Best Answer

• Shyninja

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Was finally able get the sound to return to my speakers. Seems the issue was my audio jack sensing that something was plugged in when nothing was there.

I went Realtek Audio Manager and messed with the Speaker retasking options.Using user Helped?'s solution and audio into my speakers briefly returned. Then went away.

So I turned off my laptop took some compressed air and a toothpick and lightly went around the edges of the jack. Turned it back on and sound returned.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

on playback devices, when you disconnect the headphones, the green volume bar switch to speakers and it's moving if you play audio content?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Shyninja

Tinkerer

Yes the volume meter senses audio but I hear nothing from the speakers.

• IronFly

on playback devices, right click on your speakers, choose properties, click on Level tab and check that volume is over 50% and speakers are not muted.

click also on configure and run a test

• Shyninja

Tinkerer

Yep my Realtek HD Audio Output is unmuted and even when I ran a test no audio emerged although the level bars were active as it sensed the audio. However when I plugged in my headphones though I could hear the Test audio just fine.

• IronFly

have you tried to uninstall the drivers or uninstall the audio device from Device manager?

then reboot and re-install drivers.

not just re-install new drivers over the old one.

• Shyninja

Tinkerer

Yes out of the things I've tried, I've uninstalled and reinstalled (using recovery manager) and updated my Realtek Audio drivers. =/

• IronFly

Have the speakers ever worked?

if any Realtek control panel is available on windows control panel, i would try to check some settings inside.

if on windows playback devices, you have any HDMI output device, please disable, reboot and check again.

i don't have many more things/ideas to try, can be an hardware issue on speakers too.

• Shyninja

Tinkerer

Yes it's worked until very recently. I plugged in my headphones and when I removed them the audio didn't switch over to my speakers. In my playback device ony Speakers appear no HDMI output device. Speakers is set to my default device.

Im starting to suspect though googling though perhaps my headphone jack has a failed sensor circuit or something. So it believes perhaps my headphones are still plugged in.

• IronFly

i'm not sure abouth and headphone jack issue, you will notice on playback devices the output switch from headphones to speakers.

• Shyninja

Tinkerer

Hmmm seems only one thing appears in my playback devices is a "Speakers" No seperate line for headphones.Realtek Audio Capture.PNG

• IronFly

if you click on the little yello folder in the top right of Realtek control panel, do you have any options about headphones/speakers sound?

• Shyninja

Tinkerer

None =/. Just a pop up message about connector settings "enable auto popup dialog, when device has been plugged in"

• IronFly
    I think, as last resort, you can do a factory restore.
    You need to backup your personal data.
    Press ALT+F10 at boot and follow on-screen instructions.
  • Shyninja

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Was finally able get the sound to return to my speakers. Seems the issue was my audio jack sensing that something was plugged in when nothing was there.

I went Realtek Audio Manager and messed with the Speaker retasking options.Using user Helped?'s solution and audio into my speakers briefly returned. Then went away.

So I turned off my laptop took some compressed air and a toothpick and lightly went around the edges of the jack. Turned it back on and sound returned.

• IronFly

good to hear it. Smiley Happy

• Garfield
    Garfield Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same problem with and Aspire Z3731 (Windows 7). Speakers were working until mid-January. I also reinstalled the Realtek speaker drivers and checked all possible control panel settings. On another forum, the problem was linked to a Windows 8 update KB2962407. Could there have been a Windows 7 update that would disable the internal speakers? My headphones are working fine too, so I am considering getting external speakers if I can't resolve the problem by uninstalling an update.
  • Shyninja

Tinkerer

Hmmm are you having a similar problem with me as headphone jack sensing something is plugged in? I think you can check your Realtek manager or some audio manager.Capture.PNG

this is it when everything was fixed and the jack no longer sensed anything. That circle in the top right corner underneath "Analog" was greyed out.  Before when I couldn't get any audio from my speakers I was able to right click the circle and mess with a few options to get my audio to return briefly. But It at least helped me confirm my problem was audio from headphone jack not switching over to speakers because of a screwy sensor.