Acer Iconia One 7 won't charge

KDH
KDH Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I've had my Acer Iconia One 7 since Christmas.  I've had it plugged in for the last week and the battery is stuck at 1%.  The status bar says it's charging, but never moves from 1%.  I've tried different USB cables, different plugs, and different outlets with the same results.  Any ideas as to what's wrong or what I can do to fix this issue?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you tried to charge it when switched off?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

This is normal with some chargers. The charger that came with should have been a 5.35V 2A charger with internal settings that tell the tablet that it's a fast charger. When it's plugged in the tablet goes into fast charge mode and will charge even if you are using it. A standard USB port or USB charger will provide 0.5A and the tablet will only do the slow charge mode. In slow charge mode if you are using the tablet will only hold a charge, not build a charge. If you turn the tablet off it should build a charge even with the slow charger.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

You may check if your are able to use the tablet without the AC adapter pluggedin  eventhough it is stuck at 1%. Some Acer Iconia One 7 have reported this issue. This is not an hardware issue. Acer and Google are working on an update to the operating system to address this problem. This update will automatically be sent to your tablet as soon as it is available. Having the system repaired will not fix this issue. 

For your reference you chekc this weblink  Tablet Charging issue

You may open thsi weblink and click on "Notify Me " to get an alert from Acer after the update is released for this issue.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• Halixman
    Halixman Member Posts: 10 New User

I have the same problem. My tabley is stuck at 2%. I'm trying to reinstall the OS, not wipe data, I wanna delete all the OS. I think is a software issue.

I downloaded the firmware from the acer web page:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/OS/OS/OS_Acer_Acer.AV0K0.B1-730.RV01RC01.WW.GEN1_A44K_A.zip?acerid=635567119594638672&Step1=TABLET&Step2=ICONIA ONE 7&Step3=B1-730&OS=ALL&LC=es&BC=ACER&SC=EMEA_11

Copied the zip to an SD Card... restart the tablet with the power button and the volume... select "apply update from an sd" but it shows this:

FAILED TO MOUNT /MNT/SDCARD1 (NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY)

What am I doing wrong?

• billsey

The SD card needs to be formatted FAT32 (most are, but some are exFAT or NTFS). Did you extract the file called 'update.zip' from the downloaded zip and place it in the root of the SD card?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Halixman

There is not a update.zip file. I downloaded a file called OS_Acer_Acer.AV0K0.B1-730.RV01RC01.WW.GEN1_A44K_A.zip

Inside that zip  are two files:

- B1-730. Install OS from external MircoSD card Standard Operation Procedure..txt

- SD Acer_AV0K0_B1-730_RV01RC01_WW_GEN1.zip

I renamed the SD Acer_AV0K0_B1-730_RV01RC01_WW_GEN1.zip to UPDATE.zip and copied to the SD root.

• billsey

Did the second zip file contain an update.zip, or was it the actual install image inside there?

• paulinspace
    paulinspace Member Posts: 6 New User

Yes I have had exactly the same problem.  Abut a month after buying the tablet it did exactly same thing.  Won't charge past 1%.  But it gets better.  I took it back and they exchanged it for me.  And guess what, it happened again on a brand new tablet.

Both were the Acer Iconia One 7.

Like you I tried different chargers, turning off to charge, turning on to charge.  I stripped it back to factory default.  I loaded battery management software to try to fix it.  Nothing has worked.

Not sure if its coincidence but both times it happened when I left to charge overnight.  Maybe the overcharge control isn't working properly and its screwing the battery.

So I'm going to take back for a refund now.

• paulinspace

Sharanji, that looks a different issue.  Not completely charging seems a better outcome to not being able to get past 1%.

Between my two tablets where it has happened and the original posters tablet, that is 3 tablets failing at exactly 1%.

• billsey

I wonder if the issue isn't with the battery/charge but with the software that's deciding the charge level is at 1%. If you turn everything off (full power down via long press of power button) and charge overnight how long the battery would actually last, ignoring the 1% display? If it's several hours then we're likely talking about an issue with the reporting, not with the battery or charger.

• paulinspace

I check that approach and its not that.  As soon as I turned it on the next day it lasted about 5 seconds and powered down again.

• billsey

OK, time for warranty repair I'm afraid. Make sure you send both the tablet and charger back. I'm guessing it's going to be a connection problem between the charger socket and the motherboard.

• ulala
    ulala Member Posts: 3 New User

I am having the same issue with mine not charging and it stays a 1%.  I just got a system update, however I can not install it because my battery will not charge pass 1%.  If this is the update that is suppose to fix the charging issue, please tell me how to bypass the can not install unless your battery is at 40% or charging and battery at 20%? 

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi All,

Could I ask for those having issues to share the full model name, such as B1-730HD or A1-830 etc? It will help me review and see if we have an issue being reported frequently to our contact centers and if there is any ongoing research taking place.

Thanks,
    Cory

• paulinspace

Ok so mine is the B1-730.

• Halixman
    B1-730 here.
  • ulala
    ulala Member Posts: 3 New User
    B1-730
  • LexSama
    LexSama Member Posts: 2 New User

i seem to be having the same problem, tho mine reports being stuck at 17% i force update found nothing

tablet B1-730

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

I've initiated discussions internally, I have a few more questions to help us understand.

Does the tablet act like it only has 1% battery? If you unplug it, are you getting minutes of usage before it tries to shutdown?

Are there battery protection measures happening such as a dimming of the display?

Thanks,
    Cory

• Halixman
    My battery meter displays 2% but I can use the tablet for 8 hours without problem. No display dim or any issue.

To recharge the battery I turn off the tablet and connect it to the AC socket for about 2 or 3 hours or until the power adapter being cold automatically (maybe because the battery reach the 100% load). When I turn on the tablet the battery meter display 2%.