Restore failed - Error code=0x17(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).)

flash907
flash907 Member Posts: 9 New User

I have purchased the Acer eRecovery Discs and when I go thru the process of running the recovery I get the error that is in the subject line. it fails on the same file everytime POP01ICW0OX03C1161.SWM. I have changed out the HDD and DVD drive out with fresh ones, and yet the error remains. I contacted the tech support and the transcripts of that conversation will be at the bottom. I have tried finding the .iso of the disc I am having issues with but I can not find it anywhere online. I dont want to pay another $20 for another set of discs that may or may not work. I used Ultimate boot disc to verify the health of the HDDs that i have tested.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Got it.

We've been making that recovery media for nearly 3 years, I don't think it's a flaw with the software, but maybe a bad disk.

I talked to the store team where they were originally ordered and they're going to setup another set to be sent out. I'll followup in a PM with order numbers and other information Monday.

Thanks,
    Cory

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the 2 HDDs are both unallocated?

this means without partition and formatting

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • flash907

yes, both were. I used ultimate boot disc to clear the HDD to all zeros after I checked the quick and full health tests. recieved the same Error at the same spot as before. 

• IronFly

try to create an .iso from that DVD and burn it to an USB flash drive.

if the DVD has some errors it will fail to create the .iso.

• flash907

ok, i will try that. however i not at home at the moment and the discs are there. when i get home i will try and do that.

• flash907

Ironfly, I just tried to make an .iso using imgburn and the img failed to be created. this is the error that came up. 

W 15:48:38 Failed to Read Sectors 1673888 - 1673919 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
    W 15:48:48 Failed to Read Sector 1673888 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error
    W 15:48:48 Sector 1673888 maps to File: \IMAGES\POP01ICW0OX03C116.SWM

ps sorry it took so long.

• IronFly

ok, this is a confirmation that the media is damaged.

• flash907

ok. do you know who i can get in touch with to get media that isn't corrupted? i spent $20 for bad discs and im a little irritated. I know it is not your fault and i appreciate everything you have helped with so far. 

• IronFly

i just asked for help....hang tight. Smiley Happy

• flash907

just curious if there has been any headway yet?

• IronFly

not yet, but they received the message, need a little bit of patience. Smiley Happy

• Cory-Acer

Hi flash907,

Sorry for the delay. Can you tell me what model you have? Also, could you send me a private message with your Serial Number and lets have a look?

Thanks,
    Cory

• flash907

Hi Cory, the model of the tower is AX3400G-U4802. And I just sent you a PM with the serial #.

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

Got it.

We've been making that recovery media for nearly 3 years, I don't think it's a flaw with the software, but maybe a bad disk.

I talked to the store team where they were originally ordered and they're going to setup another set to be sent out. I'll followup in a PM with order numbers and other information Monday.

Thanks,
    Cory

• flash907

Thank you so much Cory. 

• IronFly

Nice to hear it. Smiley Very Happy

• zinc7
    zinc7 Member Posts: 15 New User

This is zinc7.  My problem seems very similar (17 posts two weeks ago.)  I have an Acer Aspire One D260 that was extremely slow and constantly gave me a message that my Windows 7 Starter software was stolen.  Not true; Windows 7 Starter came installed on my Acer.  Because I did not want such a slow conputer, I was encourage to return the Acer to factory defaults and start over.  I purchased the Acer recovery disks but could only restore the computer 46% before I got the error message:  Restore failed - Error code = 0x17(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).)  After 17 back and forths with Ace IronFly, removing all partitions on the hard drive, checking for surface errors on the drive and finding none, I asked for replacement recovery disks, but still only got to 45% recovery before getting the same error message as above.

So, I just installed a brand new hard drive, and using my new optical drive, tried again to use the eRecovery disks from Acer.  At 44% recovery I got the SAME error message as before. 

Does anybody have any idea what part of my computer is causing this problem?  Thank you!

• flash907

Zinc if you look back earlier in this post you'll notice that I was asked to try making an .iso of the disc itself and after i tried to thats when I had found the actual issue which was not my hardware.

• IronFly

yep, i remember Zinc, the test to create an iso file didn't come in mind reading your post.....getting older sometimes slow my brain. Smiley Tongue

as flash907 stated, try to make an iso file from the CD/DVD, if this fail probably can be a faulty support or DVD drive issue.

• zinc7
    zinc7 Member Posts: 15 New User

Hi Guys,

I have looked up iso file, and I think that an iso file is a complete copy of a CD?  The CD that causes my recovery to stop at about 45% is the Acer eRecovery disk 1 of 2.  Am I trying to find out if my new optical CD drive is bad?  Both recovery disks from Acer fail at almost the same place, around 45% of recovery.

I am sorry but i do not understand the point.  I am very willing to try anything, but I just do not understand.  Thank you!

• IronFly

yes, an iso is a 1:1 cd copy, so if you try to create a copy from a bad media, the copy software will give you errors.

this can be caused by 2 things:

1) bad media support

2) faulty DVD/CD drive

how can you narrow this?

trying to create an iso file from the Acer erecovery media, using another PC (it will have a different DVD/CD drive), so if this fails to create an iso file too.....

it's 100% a faulty support.