Aspire E1-572G can't boot past Acer logo

Tuszy
Tuszy Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi Acer community,

I have a new E1-572G laptop. Long story short, I installed Win 7 on it, and after that, Ubuntu 14.10. I had issues with bootloader, but after fiddling around with legacy/UEFI booting, secure boot, and things like that, I almost successfully configured the laptop. When I selected the ubuntu uefi bootmgr in the bios, in secure boot mode, I rebooted the laptop for what I thought the last time, but then it did not go past the Acer logo. Only combination that works is ctrl+alt+delete. If I remove the hdd, then the acer logo flashes for half a second, and a black screen appears, with a static console cursor at the left upper corner.

I searched a lot in the topic, wanted to reset the bios, but there is no jumper for this, nor can I remove the bios battery. I wanted to reflash the bios, but I could not find proper instructions on this.

Please help me, if there is any solution I could try at home.

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

So pressing F2 to enter BIOS again is not working even without the HDD inserted?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Tuszy

Unfortunately no. As I said, in that situation the acer logo flashes for brief a moment, and I get a black screen, witha  short white line in the upper left corner, like it's a commandline cursor. I was not yet able to try booting with a different hdd, see if that's the issue, but I thought maybe there are some other ways I could try.

Regarding the BIOS battery, how is it attached? Is there a way to take it out safely, and then reattach it? Here is a picture of the MB.

LA-9531P.PNG

• IronFly
    Normally you don't need to unsolder the CMOS battery.
    I have to check it but near the ram slots probably there are 2 pin point to short to reset CMOS.

• Tuszy

Yeah I looked around for those, but just couldn't find them... Hope you can help me with that Smiley Happy If that doesn't help, then I think my only hope would be trying with a different hdd.

• IronFly

Yep, the 2 pins are near the right side of left ram slot, it's labeled RTCRST#

• Tuszy
    Ok, I did the reset, now I have a black screen, only backlight, with or without hdd. If I start with fn+esc, I get a screen with info over BIOS, CPU, memory. This is new, didn't happen till now. Update, I got that info page only once. Any ideas?
  • IronFly
    Try again clear CMOS.
    Then boot pressing F2
  • Tuszy
    I reset the cmos again. On normal boot, first dark screen, than the backlight turns on, but no logo or anything. Hdd led flashes on boot, but then the laptop goes silent. Ctrl+alt+del reboots laptop. When booting with fn+esc, the fan spins nonstop, screen has backlight, but thats it.
  • IronFly

I suspect a BIOS corruption issue, since before the CMOS reset you had the same issue.

• Tuszy
    And can I somehow reflash the BIOS?
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

if you can find the right BIOS.

• Tuszy

Thank you very much, reflashing the Bios solved my issue, took about 1,5 minutes. Case closed Smiley Happy

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• alenisme
    alenisme Member Posts: 6 New User
    Hey, I have the totally same problem like you had. But I don't know how to reflash bois like you did. Can you help me with it? Much appreciation.
  • Martin34
    Martin34 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I have the same problem and need help how to find the right bios and

a docu to reflash my corrupt bios. I have model E1-572 without an "G".

With the key combination ESC+FN I get the info, that BIOS-Version V2.12 is installed.

Can you help me?

--------------------------

Update: Problem solved!

I found the answers on the following side:

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/Repair-Acer-R7-572-6423-quot-Black-Screen-of-Death-quot/m-p/409555#M3589 

the BIOS recovery finished successfully Smiley Happy

The notebook is working again.