Acer Recovery Management problems

shoorty777
shoorty777 Member Posts: 6 New User

Just purchased a refurbished Acer 605 desktop from Walmart, looks like it's brand new and the procedure I had to do after power up was like that of a brand new pc.  I am trying to use the Acer Recovery Management to create a recovery flashdrive.  I click on "Create Factory Default Backup"  I am then presented with a screen titled "Create a Recovery Drive" with some text but the selection for "copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive"  is greyed out and is not selectable.  The instructions indicate that this box needs to be check.   Without that info what gets put on the usb stick is worthless.

If I look in the Disk Management window I can see a 15.96GB partition labeled "Healthy (Recovery Partition).  I am big into backups and don't want to proceed with using this machine without a viable way to get back to the disk drives original image.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a viable backup image?

Thanks

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

You will need a 16 GB or larger USB drive to create the USB recovery media.

Here's the video and weblink on how to create USB recovery media  create USB recovery

If you are unable to create the USB recoevry media you have the option to purchase the recovery media from Acer store.

It will install the operating system, drivers and preinstalled application of your computer.

You may also live chat with an Acer technician at : Acer Live Chat

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.png to say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• shoorty777

I didn't ask for help in locating the instructions for ctreating a recovery image, I know how to find those instructions and I know what they are.  What I asked for is help in finding our why I can't selct "copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive".  As I said in my original post that selection is greyed out and I cannot check that box.  Please carefully read my original question.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you post a screenshot of HDD partitions from Disk management?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • shoorty777

While I figure out how to post a screen shot I will tell you this, I suspect the problem is that the almost 16gb partition that is called "healthy recovery" doesn't have a drive letter and without the drive letter it is unseen by the OS.  I suspect that the company that does the refirbishing probably has an image that the drop onto the hard drive but it needs an added step of adding a drive letter to the recovery partition.

Any suggestions on posting a picture of the disk management screen?

• IronFly

no, drive letter is not the problem; simply all Acer recovery partitions are hidden and so no letter assigned, the drive letter is only needed if there is a problem on HDD partitions, so i need the screenshot to check it.

about posting:

screen.jpg

• shoorty777

Here is the image

Disk Management Capture.JPG

• shoorty777

For anyone interested, here is a screen capture of the Recovery screen where I try to create an image.  As you can see the "copy the recovery partition from the pc" statement is greyed out.  Also, the Disk Management screen shows an Drive E labelled Recovery.  That is a flashdrive that I plugged in and tried to do a recovery image to, as you can see there's not much that was copied by the Acer utility.

Recovery Window Capture.JPG

• IronFly

ok, as i though the problem is that you have 2 recovery partitions that create confusion and the unallocated space as first HDD section.

let's try the easy fix first:

Press windows key logo + r

type
    diskpart

type
    select disk 0

type

list partition

(take note of the number of the Acer recovery partition)

type
    select partition x

(x is the number of the Acer recovery partition)

type
    assign letter=R

type
    exit

then press

windows key logo + s

type

command prompt

right click on its icon and select, run as administrator

once in the command prompt

type

reagentc.exe /setreimage /path R:\Recovery\WindowsRE /target C:\windows

close the command prompt

reboot and try create a recovery disk to see if it works

• shoorty777

In your instructions you say:

"select partition x (x is the number of the Acer recovery partition)

type assign letter=R

Won't the "list partition" show 2 recovery partitions?  If so, which of the 2 recovery partitions are you wanting me to assigning a drive letter to?

Thanks

• IronFly

the bigger one, 15,96GB.