Why won't my Acer Laptop connect to my home wifi anymore?

Ninjaman
Ninjaman Member Posts: 13 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
At Best Buy they said that there's nothing wrong with my laptop. I'm past the return policy and only have manufactures warranty. It works on other wifi. Also other devices connect to the home wifi just fine.

My laptop used to work on the wifi. Something popped up saying there's a problem and Windows can automatically fix it, so I let it. Ever since when I try to connect it'll say connecting is taking longer than usual. And then it says can't connect to network. The Internet at my house is HughesNet, and the router is Belkin, but what I don't get is why my laptop connected to the wifi just fine before but now it doesn't.

I rebooted it before I went to Best Buy, but that didn't fix the problem. But like I said, they said that my laptop has no problem. They said that it might be the Internet Service Provider or the wireless router. Every other device connects just fine still. And my laptop connects to other wifi still. I'm at a loss here.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Check in Device Manager that the WIFI driver is there and doesn't have a yellow question mark by it.

Even though other devices connect, unplug your router for a minute and plug back in, start the laptop.

Find your laptop here:http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and check for a newer driver.

Download whatever driver is there, uninstall the driver in Programs and Features and Device Manager, checking delete software and reboot.Install the new driver.

• Ninjaman
    They looked at it at Best Buy and said there's nothing wrong with the laptop.
  • philetus

The only other thing I can think of is your laptop Wifi security is different than the router.

• Ninjaman
    But why would it if worked before? And why didn't rebooting my laptop fix it?
  • Ninjaman
    But why would it of worked before? And why didn't rebooting my laptop fix it?
  • Hi,

This issue could be either due to Static Router, where the Router does not respond to the request from the computer or could be a bad driver, Restart your router as philetus suggested, & at the same time unininstall & reinstall the driver from device manager.
  • Ninjaman
    How do I reinstall it? It disappeared!
  • philetus

Go Here: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Find your model and O/S and download the driver you need.

• Hi,

Once you uninstall(If you have not checked the box for Delete Driver software), just restart the unit,. or Click action from Device Manager menu & choose Scan for Hardware changes,. Cheers,. if deleted then, you can follow the link above posted by philetus.
  • ChuckP84
    ChuckP84 Member Posts: 2 New User

I am having the exact same problem with my acer acer aspire r3 131-T. It connects everywhere but home, when i try to connect it says "checking network requirements" then "cannot connect to this network" I have tried everything i have found in this thread and more but this is a HUGE problem I work from home and it will not connect. The router is a Netgear wgt624. 

Everything else connects to the router fine. My laptop connects everywhere else just not here. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP I HAVE BEEN TRYING THIS FOR WEEKS

• Have you shut down the laptop, rebooted the router and then restarted the laptop. 

• ChuckP84
    ChuckP84 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yes. 20 times in the last few weeks :-( I see a million posts all over the net with the same issue but no fix. Seriously considering getting a new one but I just got this one
  • Maco2112
    Maco2112 Member Posts: 12 New User

check on the router if the MAC of the wireless card is jammed

• Booboo
    Booboo Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer says it's conncted to the Wi-Fi  yet says  "no network " yet has full bars