How to delete Windows 8.1 Recovery Partition

2»

Answers

• FreeJAC
    FreeJAC Member Posts: 9 New User

"How to modify windows boot for run without INSTALL.WIM and CUSTOM.WIM?"

You need to boot off install media. The USB stick the recovery software makes should allow you to boot. Create partitions and install accordingly.

• tyfoza
    tyfoza Member Posts: 2 New User

ACER E11 recovery USB stick not allow install WIN without modify partitions. Allow manufactured settings only. And create 10GB recovery partition again.

I try to find another solution of this problem. How to remove recovery partition on ACER 11. Very small disk and 30% of this disk have recovery partition. And ACER say that we can move recovery to USB and remove it. But!

On this video by acer:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26287

is option for removing recovery partition - but on Acer E11 it is not possible. I do not know why. But this option missing.

Please, exist a way how to fix this problem?

If we need modify EFI boot will try it.

Question: Without recovery partion - manually removed via diskpart or gparted

On disk is partition for EFI boot and partition with Windows.

How to boot Windows. Manually? Automatic repair not function.

What we need modify?

You can remove attribute HIDDEN for EFI partition and you can mout it as disk in windows and system still function and boot.

• FreeJAC
    FreeJAC Member Posts: 9 New User

tyfoz,

The option is missing because of nature of how the WIMBOOT technology works. Basically it blocks it. If Windows was installed on the drive using a more traditional manner, then that link would work. WIMBOOT technology only came out with Windows 8.1 Update last fall. I am assuming Acer hasn't had time to update their software / documentation / videos as of yet.

As far as the recovery USB stick goes, that makes sense that it would setup everything as it is currently. How about making an O/S backup using the Windows utility. I would be curious if using that tool would also include the OEM modifications or would it give you basic Windows install media. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive 

If that doesn't work how about this? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi All,

So it looks like you all are on the right path. The unit uses WIMBoot which uses part of the recovery partition to boot the system and save storage space that way. I understand the desire to maximize as much storage space as possible, and I'm not here to stop the conversation if you want to find alterntives to doing so, but Acer can't recommend modifying the way the process is setup and I don't have instructions to provide that allows the system to boot without the recovery partition or by modifying the features of WIMBoot.

Hope this helps,
    Cory