acer 5755-6699 e recovery stops at 99%

Fbombs73
Fbombs73 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have an aspire 5755-6699 that has been giving me problems. It keeps freezing up and going into windows recovery at startup. Windows recovery stopped at checking and fixing disc errors. So I bought a new hard drive and put it in and tried to restore it with the recovery disks. Everything went fine until the very end with the language disc. The top bar went to 100% complete and the bottom bar stopped at 99% and just stayed there. I tried to restart the computer but it says there is no valid disk drive. Tried running e recovery again and the same thing happened. What should I do?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD
    then boot from the burned media and choose mini-xp from the options, once in the desktop, double click "command prompt"

then type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean
    type

exit

shutdown Mini Xp

now boot from your recovery media

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Fbombs73

Thanks Ironfly, I am taking my son to the park and when I get back I will try this. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the quick response!

• Fbombs73

I downloaded the software from the site you suggested. I cant figure out how to burn the iso file to usb.  

• Fbombs73

went and got cds and got it to work. now reinstalling the recovery cds. I am on disc 4. will update if it works. right now i have zero confidence that it will.

• IronFly
    If it stucks, try to press Alt+tab or CTRL+ALT+Del maybe there's a pop up in the background that need a confirmation.
  • Fbombs73

ran the recovery and it stopped at 99% again. Tried hitting control tab and control alt del and nothing happens.

• IronFly

if you boot from HDD, it will run or not?

try also to boot without the DVD/CD and pressing ALT+F10 at boot, this will start the recovery from the HDD.

• Fbombs73

no. when i try to reboot I get PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable 

under that it says PXE-MOF: Exiting broadcom PXE ROM. No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

• TGuo
    TGuo Member Posts: 1 New User

FYI -- I had one acer V5-571 got similar 99% stops during DVD disk recovery. It turns out the issue was due to recovery DVD disk copy using DVD writer. I fixed the issue by purchasing one USB interface DVD reader, and recovered the system using the original DVD recovery disks purchased from Acer. 

Background informaiton: somehow my computer DVD drive cannot read the offical 5 disks from Acer (1 system, 3 recovery disks, 1 language). Instead of replacing the DVD module, I copied the 5 disks by another computer DVD burner --everything looked great. DVD disks were copied, and be used for Acer reboot, can be read up to 99% system recovery, then stopped there for 10 hours...

In the end, I had to buy external DVD drive, and read the offical DVD recovery disks.. And it worked!!!

One difference during the recovery I observed: the burner or copied version recovery would not pop out language disk request during system recovery, while the successful one did request that disk during ~26% system recovery.

one more thing, there was some tread about switching legacy or UEFI BIOS mode due to this 99% failure recovery. To avoid this forever loop [recovery disk asked for legacy, but if switching to legacy, it would ask for UEFI. Smiley Sad.. ], try to boot the computer by any bootable disk, go to command prompt, and run diskpart/select disk=?/clean for the hard disk to be installed. You mgiht use convert gpt too in my case. After exit diskpart, then restart the computer with recovery disk..

It was lots of work for me to recovery my computer -- due to hard disk failure (bought a new one) and DVD failed to read the recovery discs.. But finally it was working now... 

• winston66
    winston66 Member Posts: 4 New User
    In my case the 100% - 99% loop in acer e management recovery was due to corrupted files.
    The fix for me on an Aspire 5734Z was to download Windows 7 to an USB and boot up from the boot menu putting USB drive as number 1 in the menu by using the 5 and 6 keys. In my case Windows 7 was the original OS with a Windows 10 upgrade. When the Windows 7 is loaded onto the computer Windows 10 can then be added. All my original files were still present.
    I might add that Microsoft technical assistance were incredibly helpful and based upon my experience, do not hesitate to give them a call.
    good luck
    winston66