bootmgr missing

robtmc
robtmc Member Posts: 13 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Acer aspire 5742. installed new hdd. bought recovery disk. inserted recovery disk selected top option, inserted dsk1 when asked then dsk 2 when asked. dsk did not run error bootmgr missing ctrt/alt del to restart.    does nothing same error comes up. removed dsk tried again same thing. removed dsk shut down inserted recovery dsk to try to start over. same error.

Help

Best Answer

• robtmc
    Answer ✓

Xmas company is gone. Went to mini xp on Hirens cd. HDD checked okay. Decided to make copy of recovery dsk 1 since that is where the problems began. Appears Acer sent me a bad dsk.  Install coplete!!!! cross my fingers Ironfly you are the man 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    On BIOS check boot priority, is HDD or DVD the first boot device?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • IronFly
    Give also a try to press ALT+F10 at boot, after the bootmgr error.
  • robtmc

F@ in set up hdd was first changed to cdrom. same thing

• robtmc

alt+f10 nothing

• IronFly
    Did you wiped the HDD to unallocated space?
    This means no partitions and data?
  • robtmc

I do not know. The recovery dsk ran and #1 dsk ran Put #2 in and this is what came up.

• IronFly

Download Hiren's boot cd iso and burn it on a CD or bootable USB pen:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip

boot from Hiren's CD and choose boot from mini linux, once in linux choose Gparted and delete/wipe the HDD.

now reboot and use the recovery CDs.

please check CD 2 for any scratches or fingerprints or dust.

• robtmc

sorry I am so slow to respond. Company visiting. Copied zipped file to cd from other laptop. Put in same responce. does not boot

• IronFly

have you unzipped and burned the .iso file to a CD/USB?

at boot press F2 to enter BIOS and disable secure boot if enabled, remember to set administrative password to enable secure boot option editing.

then press F10, save and exit, reboot and boot from CD.

• robtmc

Starting to feel a little dumber!! Went to cd where I cppied the files. it was zipped so I extracted all from d to d. password boot is disabled. Now when I look at administrator password it is clear. I do not see anything to set administrative password to enable secure boot option editing. confused here. tried to boot with cd no change.

• robtmc

finnaly got to boot off Hirens. Do not see mini linux so opened linux based rescue enviroment. do not see gparted???

• IronFly

yes, linux based recue is ok, then select "live with default settings" (then press return on the first choice), once in the desktop, choose "partition editor" or "disk eraser" to wipe you HDD.

• robtmc

Merry Xmas

You got it to boot off recovery!!!

Made it to 97% on dsk 1 and then       restore failed-Error code=0x17(Data error (cyclic redundancy check) . )

Put disk in hit ok and we are back to bootmgr missing

I have a feeling we got a bad dsk 1. Last time it made it through dsk 1 asked for dsk 2 and then came up with bootmgr missing.

• IronFly
    On Hirens boot cd, there are some tools to check HDD integrity, can't remember the name.

Merry Christmas to you too.
  • robtmc
    Answer ✓

Xmas company is gone. Went to mini xp on Hirens cd. HDD checked okay. Decided to make copy of recovery dsk 1 since that is where the problems began. Appears Acer sent me a bad dsk.  Install coplete!!!! cross my fingers Ironfly you are the man