Aspire V5 new battery wont charge

agentnerdo
agentnerdo Member Posts: 13 New User

Hey Guys,

So my battery, after 2 years died. I ended up getting a OEM from a third retailer that on arrival also failed....ok so i returned it and got a second OEM battery from the same dealer  that also failed.

I ended up returning both and purchasing one from an after market dealer...and guess what- the battery didnt work again.

I am starting to wonder if there might be an issue with my laptop. The thing is, the laptop works when plugged in.

when i have the new battery plugged in, it says "plugged in, charging" but the % just never goes up. Another point is, that the last battery came half charged....and when I unplugged the laptop, it ran on battery power.

Things I have tried;

-uninstalled the driver for battery, in hopes when it re-installs it gets picked up

-took apart the laptop to see if there is any loose wires, nothing.

maybe the third battery is also bad? I just dont see how there could be an issue with the laptop, since it iworks while plugged in, and it also works on battery.

does anyone know a test or a method that I can use to check out the battery or test the laptop to see if it is charging?

any other advice or comments?

No, I do not have an ampmeter laying around Smiley Happy

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

>>>No, I do not have an ampmeter laying around >>>

I'll bet you're gonna say you don't have a backhoe either. Everybody needs an ammeter too. Preferrably embedded in a free digital multimeter from Harbor Freight. 8^)

There are many V5 models. First thing I'd do is check to see if Device Mgr shows any errors or warnings.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hi,

Based on you Post, I fear the issue could be with charging IC, in the Mainboard,. hence suggested to check with a local tech, or you could also contact Acer,.
  • agentnerdo

Ah,

anyway I can run some sort of test to make sure it isn't the battery? The only reason I ask is because if it IS the battery...I need to return it within a week. I doubt I will be able to have my computer looked at until the end of month (exams).

Curious...what is a charging IC?

• JackE

Did you check Device Mgr for errors?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

Yes I did.

I also read that uninstalling microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control method battery and then allowing it to re-install itself after a rebooth has fixed some laptops...did nothing for me.

• agentnerdo

Ah, just saw your post! sorry for not replying sooner.

No errors in DM.

• JackE

OK. Next, have you checked to see if there are any bios updates for your V5 model by clicking the support button, etc at the top of this page?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

I updated it last week to 2.17....

I should have just gone for 2.18 but it seems like 2.18 just fixes a grammar error.

I tried updating it now..but it says i need a min 30% battery life Smiley Sad

• JackE

Before doing anything with the laptop, you need to somehow check the open circuit voltage of your charger to make sure it's at least as high as your battery specs. Or have someone else with a multimeter check it out for you. Digital multimeters are dirt cheap nowadays; even free if you're near a Harbor Freight outlet. If not, Sears, Kmart, WalMart, has them in their tools and/or auto dept often around $10. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

Are you saying that there is a possiblity that the OEM charger has gone bad?

I have shut down the computer and kept the  charger plugged in....i just figured if the charger was not giving enough juice, having the computer turned off should allow for at least some battery to be recharged.

Is my logic flawed?

• JackE

If the battery is removed, the laptop should still boot up with the charger plugged in. Does it?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

Yes it does.

• JackE

Not a good sign. It may be due to what Sathya had suspected earlier. This charging integrated circuit is probably soldered to the mainboard, not a plug in. You might want to check as I could be wrong.  What is your V5 model number?

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

Aspire V5-571P

Ah, ok.

I wish I just knew what was wrong with it before sending it to get fixed (as it seems like that will be the only solustion). I just hate going in blind!

Would it even be worth replacing the chip? taking into consideration the cost.

• JackE

>>>Would it even be worth replacing the chip? taking into consideration the cost.>>>

Probably not, especially if it's soldered in. Reflowing the mainboard in a convection oven might resolve the issue but I don't recommend doing so if you can still use the laptop. Reflow is a last-resort measure that often works but should only be tried if a new mainboard is the only solution.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

:-(

In summary, we are 99% sure that it is a chip issue, from all that we have gathered so far?

• JackE

No. But I can only guess 51% sure from afar. Another question, when you thought your first battery had failed, did you get any messages that recommended that "you should consider replacing your battery" Have you ever gotten any messages that suggested "your battery will not hold a full charge"?

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

Nop!

One day it jsut didnt charge anymore. It would say "plugged in, charging".  At first, the little battery in the bottom right would have the 'moving horizontal bar' as if it was charging. But a fwe mins later it would go to 'plugged in, charging' and the bar would not move at all- not sure if that makes a difference.

• JackE

>>>At first, the little battery in the bottom right would have the 'moving horizontal bar' >>>

Does the bar still exhibit this temporary behavior when first plugged in? In other words, moves for a few minutes then stops.  If so, this might suggest a heat issue either with the charger and/or the laptop.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• agentnerdo

I just quickly unplugged the charger and re-plugged it in right away (at 6% now!)

The battery bar had the rising horizonal bar again..but only for 5 times. now it is back at showing the battery at 6% with no movement.