How to reactivate Win 7 after replacing mainboard.

lisbent
lisbent Member Posts: 12 New User

I succeeded replacing the mainboard in an Acer Aspire v3 and everything is (almost) fine.

Only problem is that Windows 7 now claims that I am using an illegal copy of Windows.

I know that the reason is that the OEM version of Windows is activated with the original mainboard.

I have spoken to both Microsoft support and Acer support several times but neither can or will reactivate my Windows. Is it really so that I have to pay for a new Product Key as consequence of a hardware repair?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello,

What model of laptop do you have?

Do you known the Acer part number of your new motherboard?

France
  • lisbent

The computer is an Acer Aspire V3-571-53218G75Mass

The original mainboard is Q5WVH LA-7912P Rev: 1.0 and the new board is identical.

• Hello,

Many members confuse the PCB part number and the motherboard part number.

For example:

NB.Y1111.001 - MAIN BD.NV56R.HM77.UMA.USB3.0 (the only motherboard for Aspire V3-571)

NB.RZP11.001 - MAIN BD.HM77.N13PGS.2G.USB3.0 (one of motherboards for Aspire V3-571G)

Both motherboards have the same PCB. Unfortunatly, your license key works only with the first motherboard.

Check the part number that you'll find near the memory slots:

Image-1.jpg

France
  • lisbent

I see what you mean. Unfortunately those labels are mysteriously missing on the”new” board bought on AliExpress. (You get what pay for – at the best)

• Hello,

Could you indicate me the first ten characters of serial numbers (S/N):

- In the bios setup utility

- On the label sticked on the lower cover

France
  • lisbent

Pls. See pictures of BIOS and labels below.

I have also tried to register my Windows with the original Product Key. Surprisingly it seemed to be accepted. It remains to be seen for how long.

Bios.jpglabels.jpg

• Hello,

No chance!

Just the first ten characters of each S/Ns.

France
  • lisbent

Label:            S/N:    NXM13ED005

BIOS readout:  S/N:    NXM09EK007

• Hello,

Label---> P/N: NX.M13ED.005 - Aspire V3-571-53218G75Mass  (Scandinavia market)

Bios--->   P/N: NX.M09EK.007 - Aspire E1-571-53218G75Mnks (UK market)

That's why you can not activate your Windows license.

France
  • lisbent

That may seem logical some.  To a simple minded person like me it is absolutely incomprehensible that replacing a hardware component can make the use of legal software illegal. That really is a scam.

That said the next question is if I can fix the problem by buying a new Product Key?

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello,

That said the next question is if I can fix the problem by buying a new Product Key?

Yes, look at this Microsoft answer.

France