Acer Aspire 5552 not booting

2»

Answers

• irishgal68
    irishgal68 Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same exact problems with my acer aspire 5552 laptop on 5/22/2014. I had blue screen issues for a long time & than my machine would get very hot. One day it just completely stopped working & the only light on was the blue power button light. I took it to my computer repair guy & found out that model ACER ASPIRE 5552 has defective capacitators that were installed on the mother board. Its a common complaint all over the internet that acer aspire 5552 laptops would just stop working (black screen) NOTHING! I had my 1 faulty capacitator replaced on my mother board & also had my video card replaced. MY LAPTOP IS NOW WORKING!!. If you cannot afford a new mother board....some techs will work on mother boards & repair the bad capacitators. I hope this helped & good luck. Smiley Happy

• Shaffer325ix
    Shaffer325ix Member Posts: 2 New User

I came to the same conclusion (Theoretically).. were you ever able to fix this problem?

• Dudidum
    Dudidum Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Can you remember which one got replaced or in which region the faulty capacitor was? (eg. on the other side of the cpu, next to the northbridge etc)

Was it a SMD capacitor?

If you can get me that info somehow, I would greatly appreciate it Smiley Wink!

Thanks in advance (if you ever get the reply^^)

Dud

• Dudidum
    Dudidum Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi there!

I finally fixed the problem on my Acer 5541 and I hope it lasts.

The problem was the Radeon 4200 HD chip soldered onto the mainboard.

I suspected early on that it must be something with the graphics part of the laptop because it did something (fans spinning up etc) but there was no output on the VGA adapter.

I tried to desolder some caps around the GPU unit in the hope that they are faulty, but they weren't.

So the next step for me was to try a reflow on the GPU since there may be faulty soldered joints somewhere. There are a lot of vids on youtube which explain how to do a reflow of a BGA chip.

Since the laptop didn't work anyway, there was nothing wrong with taking some risks Smiley Wink.

For the following part:

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY (FURTHER) DAMAGE REGARDING YOUR LAPTOP!

IF YOU TRY THIS AND IT WORKS EVEN LESS, OR IS COMPLETELY DEAD, IT IS NOT MY FAULT!

YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU DO!

GPU UNIT = SUBSTRATE ON WHICH THE GPU DIE IS MOUNTED (or in other words: the plate on which the DIE is mounted, not the DIE itself)

1. Completely strip your mainboard including the CPU, CPU fan and the protective plastic on the GPU unit (if there is any).
    2. Put flux around the GPU unit (so it can flow under the GPU unit).
      Also put some flux on each of the small smd components on the GPU unit.
    3. Take a sheet of baking paper and cut out a rectangular hole 1cm larger than the GPU unit and place it on the mainboard so all you can see is the GPU unit.
    4. Take a heat gun and a temperatur measurement meter. Try to get 210-230°C in a distance of 4-5cm.
      The right temperature is very important since you can easily damage your board even more!
    5. Place the heat gun directly over the GPU unit (4-5 cm away so you have the right temperature) and heat the GPU unit for about 5-8 minutes. Check the Temperature in the near of the surface of the GPU unit from time to time.
    6. Let it cool down until it is hand warm.
    7. Test it.

That worked for me!

If you have some questions, ask away.
    This won't work if the GPU chip itself got faulty. If so, you need to replace it.

It may work with my method, but I never tried to replace a BGA chip^^.

Good Luck,

Dud