C-720 wireless problem

TomGilmore
TomGilmore Member Posts: 2 New User

Is anyone having problems with Chromebook C-720s not seeking out the best wifi signal. We have 25 Chromebooks at our school and they often do not go to the access point with best, or strongest, signal. Instead of choosing the one 5 feet away, they will try to connect to weaker signal in next room. Our network consultant, after trying to solve problem on our managed wifi system (SonicWall with SonicPoint APs), said he believes the issue rests with the Chromebooks' wireless card or drivers. Does this sound familiar and have you heard of any solutions? Is Acer planning any driver updates to address the issue?

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

TomGilmore,

I am sorry to hear you hare having a wireless problem with your C720s. As for the drivers, Chromebooks don't have drivers. Software updates are released via Google. However, I have not heard of this particular issue and apologize.

If I am understanding what your are saying, it sounds like the Chromebooks are connecting to the "Preferred" network or last connected network if it is within range regardless of signal. This is not a problem with the drivers or hardware. Like any wireless device if you set it up with network "X" it will always try to connect to that network first if within range. If not, then you will have to select a new network from the list.

You can change how your Chromebook interacts with each network. If you open the list of networks available, right click (tap the touch pad with two fingers) over each network and you will see the options; Prefer this network and Automatically connect to this network. You can deselect these options so it will not automatically connect and allow you to choose which network each time.

• TomGilmore
    TomGilmore Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your reply.

Our school has only one managed wireless network that includes several identical access points. All have the same identifying name and password.

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

TomGilmore,

Thank you for that additional information. I would recommend contacting Google about the issue or even our Premier support as they may have some additional questions to ask to make sure it is not an isolate issue, such as;

What OS build are you on?

Did this ever work?

Does the unit ever roam to another AP?

Are there any updates for the SonicWall APs?

Also here is some information I gathered;

The Chromebook will not always give preference to a 5GHz network over a 2.4 GHz network. It will make the determination based on the SNR (signal-to-noise ratio). Furthermore, once the Chromebook is connected to a network it will not disconnect in preference for another network unless that signal quality degrades past a certain threshold.