Problem with touchpad and Windows 8.1. Acer Aspire E5-511

n_netov
n_netov Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

I bought an Acer Aspire E5-511, but I have problem with touchpad and Windows 8.1.

The touchpad (Synaptics) is not working with Windows 8.1 x64, but it works fine with Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64.

When I install Windows 8.1 and have to choose” language to install” I can’t choose anything with the touchpad. I should plug in my mouse to continue. I doesn’t work even when it’s fully installed and with latest driver (available only for win 8.1 x64) from Acer’s website. I tried with an older driver, but had no success. I updated BIOS, but it doesn’t work again. In hardware IDS in device manager it shows HID\… not ACPI\… (like win 7/8). Fn+F7 doesn’t help.

When I try to install Windows7/8 the touchpad is working properly at the beginning (I can choose ”language to install”, “Time and currency format”… and the touchpad works after install even without driver).

Answers

• zumtotal
    zumtotal Member Posts: 17 New User

There are several threads here about troublesome touchpads on E5, E3, V3 and other Aspire laptops with Win 8.1. No one has found the definitive solution yet, I think.

• gupta_1986
    gupta_1986 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, I am also bought Acer Aspire E5-511, And I have faced same problem, Can you confirm me your problem is solved or not, if solved inform me same please,,my contact no is [edited for privacy]

• n_netov
    n_netov Member Posts: 5 New User

I have not found a solution yet. If I find, I will share it.

• d0g
    d0g Member Posts: 13 New User

I bought an E5-411 about 7 weeks ago and have the dreaded touchpad issue. I wish I had come here first before buying! The laptop is useless to me due to the touchpad being essentially unusable. I am very angry about this and Acer is totally silent about the problem. How can they market laptops that don't work as advertised?? Smiley Mad

• I would try Windows 8 or Win 7  Synaptics drivers after uninstalling windows 8.1 driver. Just a thought.

• kamion
    kamion Member Posts: 5 New User

I bought this laptop a month ago with preinstalled 8.1. I would like to install windows 7 but I can't find the drivers anywhere for windows 7. How did you install 7?

• nitinnbisht
    nitinnbisht Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

SOLUTION So guys after deep research and troubleshooting I found that you need to keep notice of a few things at time of installation: Installation Mode: UEFI (only)- LEGACY would create touchpad issues. after installation of windows just follow the driver installation hierarchy 1.Intel NB_Chipset_M Baytrail-M 2.Intel I/O Driver then rest of the *****. Note:After doing all this make sure your touchpad is active >> Fn+F7 Just wished if this solution came from an acer executive , the world would have been a better place Smiley LOL , but anyways this is what community is for. Enjoy everyone
  • kamion

But I can't boot from usb if I'm in UEFI mode, just legacy.

• kamion

I am using rufus to make my usb bootable. It has 3 options for partition options and target system type:

1) MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI computer

2) MBR partition scheme for UEFI computer

3) GPT partition scheme for UEFi computer

I used number 1 and I can't boot in UEFI mode with that, shoul I use another?

• nitinnbisht

Tinkerer

3rd option would do.
  • nitinnbisht

Tinkerer

search a tutorial over internet for uefi enabled win 8.1 bootable USB. use Rufus for creating bootable, quick and easy
  • kamion

OK, I did it! nitinnbisht was right!

You must install in UEFI mode for touchpad to work.

I used rufus to make my USB bootable, and in it I chose GPT for UEFI and I chose FAT 32.

You must install 8.1 x64.

About the drivers, I installed chipset first and IO second and touchpad worked immediatly, no need for touchpad drivers.

• kamion

Thanks!!

• enlightened
    enlightened Member Posts: 5 New User

You mean there is no quick fix for this. I got to do all this to get my touchpad working again. No software patch no nothing....Smiley Mad

• hans12
    hans12 Member Posts: 1 New User

It really is a shame isn't it? I have the same problem under Windows 8.1. I have a dual boot setup and therefore secure boot and uefi disabled and under Linux everything is working like it should but on Windows the touchpad is just not going to work.

And just the lack of reaction from Acer just shows the amount of pride they have in what they are doing... /s

• tgernert
    tgernert Member Posts: 1 New User

This sounds exactly like the problem I had right out of the box. Unfortunately, I lack your extensive technical knowledge. Could you post a step-by-step set of instructions that explains this fix? Thank you!

• hullabaloo
    hullabaloo Member Posts: 1 New User

Much easier SOLUTION.

Install W 8.1 in legacy mode.

Inatall all drivers pack from the bundled CD (including all intel and touchpad drivers).

Restart, enter BIOS with F2, then reset all bios settings to default and save.

Touchpad is working now.

I can't understand which bios settings affecting the touchpad or other hardware to malfunction. There no much settings in the BIOS... more of all after you reset to defaults all settings remain the same except the boot order... 

• enlightened
    enlightened Member Posts: 5 New User
    Really! What distro? I tried installing OpenSuse and it wouldn't work. Yes! The touchpad didn't work! Horrors!!!
  • thilipstark
    thilipstark Member Posts: 1 New User

over last 6 months i couldn't find any solution for the touchpad problem.what the acer team doing in the uck office