Acer Aspire 5100 Windows 8.1 (64-bit) problems

xyzElE
xyzElE Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello Acer users,

my mother has an Acer Aspire 5100 and is happy with it so far. I installed an SSD disk drive and Windows 8.1 64-bit to it (fresh). Now she is very happy as the machine is very fast. Allthough there are new problems that came with the installation and I'm not happy with them. They are the following (all driver related issues I guess, no drivers in Windows update or on Acer site):

1 - Memory card reader is not functioning at all and does not show up in explorer. Device manager shows 3x problem devices wich are all together the memory card reader. Wich brand is this?

2 - WIFI is not working (says network adapter), have not yet tried to download and install drivers from the Atheros website, will try this next time I visit her. Device manager shows 1x problem device wich I guess is the WIFI because the machine can access internet by the wired adapter. 

3 - Display is set fixed (can not be changed) to a resolution of 1024x768 and it can do better, but can not be changed. Downloaded and installed Catalys control center, but this has changed very much and I can not see any place to change resolution from there. Only multiple displays etc.

4 - Display adapter shows in device manager to be 200M and it should be Ati Radeon Xpress 1100?

But other than these problems, Windows 8.1 64-bit is running nice and specially with the SSD being very fast. And can recommend to all of you =)

Nice if you can assist me on this matter. I guess Acer can not make drivers before they get the manufacturers driver.

- Ele

Best Answer

• xyzElE
    Answer ✓

---CUT---

Forgot to mention, that quite often the computer gives an error msg when rebooting computer this seems to only happen on reboot not on normal shutdown. No other symptoms or problems on this, only that it takes a few seconds longer when Windows writes memory to disk etc.

---CUT---

This is now solved and the reason was the old Conexant modem driver wich was from year 2006, could not find a newer one so I just simply disabled the modem from the device manager. Then the error message (wich was: System_thread_exception_not_handled(CAX_CNXT.sys)) did not show up anymore and the computer reboots nicely =)

So no more error messages for Acer Aspire 5100.

WIFI: I did another search in the Microsoft Update Catalog with AR5005G, sorted the drivers by date, picked the newest Win 8.1 driver and bang, the WIFI device installed nicely and found WIFI networks, but can not log in to one and reboots computer, so no go...

The only two remaining things are the memory card reader (ENE) and WIFI (Atheros), both devices are now installed correctly and show up as normal in the device manager and both show life signs, but do not stand long but both reboot the computer when put in to real use. So if someone gets these working please continue this thread, but I guess there just isn't a correct driver for these two that would work and would be official. I'd expect the ENE card reader to get one, but the WIFI might be just listed as not Win 8.1 supported device (this is not good advertisement to Atheros since this speed class WIFI is still fast enough to use for personal use at least). Solution could be to remove the WIFI card and replace it with a one that is supported and use an external memory card reader so long before the driver is published.

Big thanks to IronFly for pointing out how to find "dev" and "ven" data =) Kudos given to the mentioned post.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Hi xyzELE:

if Yellow exclamation mark is present
    double click on it
    choose "Details" tab
    from dropdown menu, select HardwareIDs
    click on the first value and copy/paste it here

so i will try to help find the correct drivers.

about screen resolution, let's fix the Yellow exclamation marks before, then we will check the resolution problem.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • xyzElE

Here are all 4 exclamation  marked devices, wich I think the 3 "PCI Flash -memory" are alltogeter 1 device, MemoryCardReader (reads 3 or 4 different types of cards). And I guess the Ethernet is WIFI?

Ethernet - PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS_04181468&REV_01

PCI Flash -memory - PCI\VEN_1524&DEV_0551&SUBSYS_009F1025&REV_01

PCI Flash -memory - PCI\VEN_1524&DEV_0530&SUBSYS_009F1025&REV_01

PCI Flash -memory - PCI\VEN_1524&DEV_0520&SUBSYS_009F1025&REV_01

Thanks for your fast reply. Hope these are what you asked for (not english Windows).

• IronFly

xyzElE wrote:

Atheros WiFi

Ethernet - PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS_04181468&REV_01

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/func-startdown/670/

ENE technology card reader

PCI Flash -memory - PCI\VEN_1524&DEV_0551&SUBSYS_009F1025&REV_01

PCI Flash -memory - PCI\VEN_1524&DEV_0530&SUBSYS_009F1025&REV_01

PCI Flash -memory - PCI\VEN_1524&DEV_0520&SUBSYS_009F1025&REV_01

i can't find any windows 8 drivers....try this package but i doubt it will work:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/CardReader/Card%20Reader_ENE_3.00.05_Vistax86x64.zip?acerid=633638926713478805&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%205310&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

• xyzElE

Big thanks, memorycard reader started working fine and says that the system disk SSD is so fast that "System Boost" option is unavailable.

WIFI driver was not found by the system, when pointed the path to it. Well WIFI is not actually needed for this computer. It seems to be a WHQL driver wich is very good thing, so maybe it will work when using the launcher. Can I trust this driver to be safe, since it is from a third party site and package? And not from Acer or Atheros?

So now the only real problem is with the display adapter and display itself. How do we proceed?

Here is the data

it says (roughly translated to english):

Common PNP display

MONITOR\QDS0041

And:

Microsoft basic adapter

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5975&SUBSYS_009F1025&REV_00

Huge thanks so far =)

• IronFly

station drivers is 100% trustable.

so strange about drivers not found.

i will check later about other questions, stay tuned.

• IronFly

Ok,

back to wifi, did you try to install drivers manually?

didn't work using the setup.exe inside the package?

About VGA,

download this drivers (not official but the best i can find for X1000)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BMdyEBCR!FG0WPqIxFGT4KWbaQWrE90Yr_OWmMblowHDmdZ2gb1M

you need 7z as unzipper (i suggest to use 7z for .zip and .rar files, way faster)

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920-x64.msi

please uninstall any graphic drivers installed

after drivers installation, please reboot and check if this fix your issue.

• xyzElE

Hello,

it has been a while, but back to business. I got the display adapter working with full resolution using a Windows 7 driver for Ati "Radeon Xpress 1100" from:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/

this is an official Microsoft site and I just searched for Xpress 1100 and choosed newest and biggest 64-bit Win7 driver (must be an administrator to get this site work for some reason).

I have decided to only use a driver from either Microsoft, Acer or the device manufacturers website to be sure of the safety (not my computer).

A problem occurred with the memory card reader. It sort of worked for a while, but when card is inside the reader it pretty soon restarts the computer and keeps restarting until the SDcard is removed from the reader.

Tried to use the same MS website to download a driver for the WIFI also, but system recognised the card as AR5005G and it did not work, when searching/using the driver found with "PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS_04181468&REV_01" the "&REV_01" removed from the end, otherwise it would not find any drivers at all...

So the card reader and WIFI are not working yet and I think I won't stress with them, but if someone get's them working please inform this discussion.

Big thanks so far! =)

• xyzElE

Forgot to mention, that quite often the computer gives an error msg when rebooting computer this seems to only happen on reboot not on normal shutdown. No other symptoms or problems on this, only that it takes a few seconds longer when Windows writes memory to disk etc.

• xyzElE
    Answer ✓

---CUT---

Forgot to mention, that quite often the computer gives an error msg when rebooting computer this seems to only happen on reboot not on normal shutdown. No other symptoms or problems on this, only that it takes a few seconds longer when Windows writes memory to disk etc.

---CUT---

This is now solved and the reason was the old Conexant modem driver wich was from year 2006, could not find a newer one so I just simply disabled the modem from the device manager. Then the error message (wich was: System_thread_exception_not_handled(CAX_CNXT.sys)) did not show up anymore and the computer reboots nicely =)

So no more error messages for Acer Aspire 5100.

WIFI: I did another search in the Microsoft Update Catalog with AR5005G, sorted the drivers by date, picked the newest Win 8.1 driver and bang, the WIFI device installed nicely and found WIFI networks, but can not log in to one and reboots computer, so no go...

The only two remaining things are the memory card reader (ENE) and WIFI (Atheros), both devices are now installed correctly and show up as normal in the device manager and both show life signs, but do not stand long but both reboot the computer when put in to real use. So if someone gets these working please continue this thread, but I guess there just isn't a correct driver for these two that would work and would be official. I'd expect the ENE card reader to get one, but the WIFI might be just listed as not Win 8.1 supported device (this is not good advertisement to Atheros since this speed class WIFI is still fast enough to use for personal use at least). Solution could be to remove the WIFI card and replace it with a one that is supported and use an external memory card reader so long before the driver is published.

Big thanks to IronFly for pointing out how to find "dev" and "ven" data =) Kudos given to the mentioned post.