I need Rom Update for Acer Aspire 5100 (for Windows7 64bit!)

davidstipek
davidstipek Member Posts: 19 New User

Download says available. But version it downloads is 32 Bit only other has wrong Rom Name, system will not accept it!

(I think this got posted to wrong area... Sorry don't know how to move it to Notebooks)

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello davidstipek,

Firstly, I strongly advise you not to flash under Windows. You'll create other problems.

I give you the procedure to flash your bios under DOS (Aspire 5100 - Bios 3.13 on the old site).

To flash the bios under DOS:

1- Make a DOS Bootable USB Flash Drive (see note) with FlashBoot (Demo) or HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

2- Download the bios file.zip and unzipped it.

3- Copy all files contained in the BIOS 3.13 folder on the USB flash drive.

4- Boot on the USB flash drive (see the note).

5- When you are on DOS, type the command CW51313.BAT

6- If it's flashing successfully, reboot your system (normally, it reboot automatically).

7- Enter on the bios setup utility, "Load optimazed defaults" or "Load default settings".

--- If you have a doubt, do not hesitate to ask me questions ---

Note:

Flashboot: Map to A: selected --> you'll see it like a FDD or USB FDD

Map to C: selected --> You'll see it like a HDD or USB HDD

HP: By default, Letter C --> you'll see it like a HDD or USB HDD

It exists a portable version of Flashboot Demo 2.2e (no installation).

USB flash drive: 2Gb maxi

France

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Rom?

what do you mean with ROM update?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BearPaw
    BearPaw Member Posts: 69 Troubleshooter

I'm not sure how BIOS updates differentiate between 32 and 64 bit. If a download was only provided for a 32 bit environment and not a 64 bit one there has to be a reason for it.

Did your unit initially come with a 32 bit OS and down the road you upgraded the memory and the OS to 64bit?

• Hello david,

The Aspire 5100 works under Windows XP-32 bits or Vista 32 or 64 bits.

I give you two links to download the differents bios versions:

Acer support site

Old Acer support site of Europe (On this one, you can read the file Release.txt).

For OS 32/64 bits, it's the same bios.

Extrated from version 3.13:

Spoiler

+============================================================================+
    HCW50/51 Release Note

BIOS CORE Version ................  Phoenix FirstBIOS
    CPUs Supported    ................  AMD "RevF/G" Turion 64 Mobile / Mobile AMD Sempron
    Chipset    ................  ATI RS485M/RX485M/RS485MC
    Bridge    ................  ATI SB460
    Video    ................  ATI RS485M UMA/M52/M56/M62/M66
    PCMCIA    ................  ENE CB714B / CB1410
    1394a      ................  VIA VT6311S
    LAN               ................  Realtek RTL8100CL / RTL8110SBL / RTL8110SCL
    Super I/O   ................  SMSC 1036
    KBC    ................  ENE KB910
    CODEC             ................  ALC883
    Modem             ................  MDC 1.0
    WLAN              ................  Broadcom/Atheros
    Clock Generator   ................  ICS951462
    BIOS ROM (1MB)    ................  SST39VF040 / MX29LV008B

| MODEL NO. : HCW51 & HCW50                 RELEASE DATE : 08/22/2008        |
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |           SYS BIOS Version: V3.13                                          |
    |           KBC BIOS Version: V3.06A                                        |
    |                                                                            |
    |           VGA BIOS Version: 008.050I.017.000.18675 (UMA)                   |
    |                           : 009.012.001.013.024877 (M52P)                  |
    |                           : 009.012.001.015.024878 (M56P)                  |
    |                           : 009.012.001.019.022529 (M62P)                  |
    |                           : 009.012.001.014.021931 (M66P)                  |
    |        VGA Clock Frequency:                                                |
    |                      UMA:300MHz M52:392MHz M56:475MHz M62:425MHz M66:460MHz|
    |       VRAM Clock Frequency:                                                |
    |                      UMA:xxxMHz M52:375MHz M56:375MHz M62:375MHz M66:375MHz|
    |         Support Panel Type: EDID                                           |
    |    Clock Generator Setting: Byte0 : 17h                                    |
    |                             Byte1 : FDh                                    |
    |                             Byte2 : 38h                                    |
    |                             Byte3 : 71h                                    |
    |                             Byte4 : 01h                                    |
    |     DOS Phlash Utility Ver: Version 1.6.7.0                                |
    | Windows Phlash Utility Ver: Version 0.02                                   |
    |       CW51313.ROM CHECKSUM: 38D2h                                   |
    |       CW51313.WPH CHECKSUM: 79D7h                                   |

France
  • davidstipek
    Laurent_14 You are correct 5100 uses both 32 and 64bit bios. But they ARE not the same! If you try to load the update that is there for 32bit... it tells you, wrong one go and use 64bit. So you go back and download 64bit bios... It loads okay... But when it starts running message comes up that says Bios Name file wrong name... not found! and terminates... I will go old Acer support site and try, will let you know results...ok? Thanks!
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

If the BIOS updates are .exe, you can try to extract the content with 7z and look if they have the BIOS file and the DOS .exe flash tool inside; so you can boot from an USB DOS bootable pen and try to flash under DOS enviroment.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • davidstipek

Laurent_14

Okay this is what is happening say I do not have privileges...??? (I am Admin.)

Capturebios.JPG

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello davidstipek,

Firstly, I strongly advise you not to flash under Windows. You'll create other problems.

I give you the procedure to flash your bios under DOS (Aspire 5100 - Bios 3.13 on the old site).

To flash the bios under DOS:

1- Make a DOS Bootable USB Flash Drive (see note) with FlashBoot (Demo) or HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

2- Download the bios file.zip and unzipped it.

3- Copy all files contained in the BIOS 3.13 folder on the USB flash drive.

4- Boot on the USB flash drive (see the note).

5- When you are on DOS, type the command CW51313.BAT

6- If it's flashing successfully, reboot your system (normally, it reboot automatically).

7- Enter on the bios setup utility, "Load optimazed defaults" or "Load default settings".

--- If you have a doubt, do not hesitate to ask me questions ---

Note:

Flashboot: Map to A: selected --> you'll see it like a FDD or USB FDD

Map to C: selected --> You'll see it like a HDD or USB HDD

HP: By default, Letter C --> you'll see it like a HDD or USB HDD

It exists a portable version of Flashboot Demo 2.2e (no installation).

USB flash drive: 2Gb maxi

France
  • davidstipek

Laurent_14

Okay.... I did everything down to #5... Then screen went Black (Panic Time... lol!) No it was rebooting I have yet to go into Bios setup but here is copies of what did happen:

sysinfo.JPG

and another...

Capturedisplyinfo.JPG

I guess the trip... went well!

Sir Thank you! I will do the same to the other 5 Notebooks... Seems the last time (several years ago) I did to this one was done in winxp pro... Oh well!

So I have a project tomorrow for one class to do Smiley Happy

Be funny to see then freak-out when screen blanks out (Say "DO NOT REMOVE POWER TILL DONE!!!!" Haha...

I guess the USB Drive will retain the Bios I installed and opened on it, Correct? So we can use to upgrade the Bios on all our Acer Aspire 5100's (5 more to do)

Laurent_14.... 5 Star!!

I am going to go back and download all the Drivers from the Old Site! then Burn to DVD and Date. May possibly come in handy...who knows?? right?

Bless You Youngin' Shows what can be down with Grace!!!

David

Chiang Mai, Thailand

• davidstipek

Now I just need to see if I can somehow change max on Video Rom for 256mb to 1024mb!!!

Smiley Happy

David

Again to all.... Who offered help here Thank you!!!!

David

Chiang Mai, Thailand

• I'm glad you're succeeded.

My motto is:

"The mutuel aid has no border, whatever it is."

France
  • Hello David,

You wrote:

"I guess the USB Drive will retain the Bios I installed and opened on it, Correct? ": Yes, of course.

"May possibly come in handy...who knows?? ": That's always usefull.

About your graphic chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 1100:

"ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 chipset with integrated 3D graphics, up to 256MB of shared system memory".

"UMA: shared 256MB in OS".

Laurent

France
  • davidstipek

Laurent_16

Yes this is correct O.S. is default 256.

But it says ib Bios-setup (F/2 on startup) 1gb is available, default is 256mb. Does not say have to change default!

I need to change O.S. to use the 1gb.

( I need to reboot and write down exactly what it says in comments on right side of screen in setup.)

David

• Hello David,

Could you post a screen shot of bios setup utility tab?

I don't think you can change the value.

Laurent

France
  • davidstipek

I will try... Don't think I can a clip and past while in Bios setup...

Think I may have to use camera to take picture...

David

• davidstipek

Don't think I can take a screen shot while in Bios setup...

Maybe use camera to get zoom and snap picture

David

• Hello David,

Yes, a picture not a screen shot.

Laurent

France
  • davidstipek

Laurent_14

Okay, (couldn't find camera so used cell phone) here is the info you requested. I took same page in two pictures< first the left side. As you can see it is set to 256mb Video Memory.

10-09-14-15-52-31.jpg

Now if you look at next picture. It states: EXT- 1gb (Default 256mb)???

10-09-14-15-52-31.jpg

Computer is only seeing Default... How to get to change to see and use... EXT.>= 1GB???

David

(sorry it took so long to get Pictures...)

• Hello David,

No problem for the delay.

[256MB] is the default value for Ext.>=1Gb. For me, it's correct.

To see the different values, use the arrows (in cross) up to video memory and press [Enter] to list them.

I'm sure you see that:

Nothing else.

It's O.S. which manage the memory (shared).

Laurent

France
  • davidstipek

Laurent_14

So you are saying... I have 1gb Video Memory?

Or just 256mb??

David

• Hello David,

For your motherboard, the maximum graphic memory is 256MB. You can't change anything!

It's the same bios for 4 motherboards:

Graphics:

- ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 chipset (up to 256MB), yours.

- ATI Mobility Radeon X1300/X1600 with up to 512MB of HyperMemory (Discrete: 64/128MB with hyper

memory technology up to 512MB (64MB + 448MB or 128MB + 384MB) in OS

It's for these discrete cards you see the informations on the right menu (picture#2).

Note:

Your MB is: MB.ABE02.001 - MAINBOARD UMA PATA 10/100 W/CARD READER W/O TV/FIR/1394

Laurent

France
This discussion has been closed.