E1-572P Cannot launch Windows Activation after restore

cmotzenbecker
cmotzenbecker Member Posts: 7 New User
My friend recently ran into an issue where it appears corrupt wireless drivers were causing Windows to crash and restart, often ending in a reboot cycle that I would have to turn off the wireless to get to stop. Tried reinstalling drivers, no success. Eventually ended up just backing everything up and restoring from the recovery partition. Problem is, now that everything is fine and dandy, I can't activate Windows and it appears that the Office installation is corrupt. Office I can work around, but Windows is just not letting me activate it. See below screenshots from Event Viewer. Not sure where to go besides downloading an ISO of a Windows 8 install, formatting it to be UEFI recovery friendly and going from there. Any suggestions? imageimageimage

Answers

• Did you back up a corrupted system and reinstall it?

• cmotzenbecker

Is that a serious reply? Unless Windows overwrites the recovery partition on this particular model on a regular basis, no, I did not. I booted into the UEFI and chose a full restore, which because of the whole UEFI thing is basically the only option unless you made a backup, which my not-so-tech-saavy friend did not. Did you look at the screenshots from the Event Viewer?

• Sorry, I installed a couple ssds the other day and still had my head wrapped around making an image and installing it on the new HDD.

• cmotzenbecker

I'm just not sure where the errors are generating from. It seems to be an issue where the system is denying access to specific programs, however this is all being run on the administrator account and shouldn't be running into these issues. Sorry if I was a bit snappy, today is 90+ and more humid than I can imagine. Tons of technology related problems plus that have me a bit snappy.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Can you check if Bios clock and date is in sync with Windows clock and date?

the main problem of your issue is the security manager service not starting, it has some administrative right corrupted

try this solution:

http://www.ebugg-i.com/forums/windows/Event-ID-16385-Failed-to-schedule-Software-Protection-service-for-re-start-at-2112-11-28T15-57-31Z-pound-Error-Code-0x80041316.html?#Answer

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cmotzenbecker

Wouldn't execute properly... Navigating to that directory listed in the command shows that the directory doesn't exist Smiley Sad If someone wants to say "Throw computer out the window" as a solution, I may accept that at this point. Screenshot of executed commands in cmd.exe (ran as admin) below.

Capture3.PNG

Edit: Checked BIOS and the clock and time/date are in sync Smiley Happy

• cmotzenbecker

Follow up: Manually starting the Softare Protection Plaform also results in an "Access Denied" message. Error 5: Access Denied. I located the files in the Windows directory and tried setting them to run as admin, no luck there either.

philatus - Thank you for reminding me about slui.exe, if I remember right running the command in CMD "slui.exe 4" automatically makes it go straight to the phone prompt. Will give that a shot probably later weekend, busy weekend for me Smiley Happy

• cmotzenbecker

Anyone have a recommendation on how to restore Windows from a USB drive if the copies the Recovery Management tool are creating are corrupted? I'm running Chkdsk and whatnot today while at work, lost power for the weekend so was kind of stuck on that one. Would getting an ISO copy of Windows 8 OEM and creating a UEFI compatible boot off of it work for a fresh install? Would I have any issues with licensing? I really want to get this laptop back to my friend soon if possible...

• IronFly

You can buy a Win8 recovery DVD from acer shop if you are in the US.

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

• cmotzenbecker

Computers under warranty so I'd rather take it in, was just hoping to save her the hassle of the local computer store which takes forever and is roughly mediocre... (used to work there). Bunch of Windows Updates are failing too, hurray. Not sure how to attach that event viewer file though. Just about over this.

• IronFly
    Have you already tried to restore it again?
This discussion has been closed.