Laptop Blue Screen On Start Up, Can't Enter Safe Mode. Any Way To Recover Files?

Luqman1371
Luqman1371 Member Posts: 13 New User

Laptop wasn't charging before, after a week antagonizing over the insides I sorted the problem; but somehwere a long the line of that week my windows 7 ultimate decided it wanted to mess me about. laptops staying on now but won't boot windows. I've tried a System Restore, I want to avoid a complete windows wipe if possible as there is files I need on my hardrive. Is there any way for me to access my files? If not whats the easiest way to sort my laptop out?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Luqman>>>whats the easiest way to sort my laptop out?>>>

OK, you're ready for the big guns now. First, turn your machine upside down so you can read the SNID. Second, get out your credit card.  Third, tune in to https://store.acer.com/en-us/rcd/  8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

Hi again:

Hit the Alt + F10 keys on powering on to enter erecovery mode. You should have a choice to recover and save your data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Luqman1371

Tried it, won't let me enter recovery using the alt and f10 short cut

• JackE

OK. Do you get the Acer logo splash screen (with the F2 to enter bios text) before it goes blue screen?

Jack E?NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Luqman1371

Yes I am, it's crashing on the windows start up screen though.

• JackE

Unless you're HDD has failed, sounds like you're not doing the Alt+F10 routine fast enough. Try this. Before powering on, press and hold the Alt + F10 keys. Then, if you have to, use your nose to push the power button while holding the two keys. Don't let go until you see good things happening on your screen.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Luqman1371

Hahaha the nose thing made me giggle. I think the reason I can't get ino eRecovery is because my laptops dualboot between windows and ubuntu. Aplogies for the delay o he info I had no idea what it was called until today. If it is the HDD I'll pick up another one and let you know how it goes Smiley Happy

• JackE

What bootloader did you normally use? Have you checked your bios for boot options that might let the Alt+F10 erecovery process to work?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Luqman1371

Normally I use Windows, I stopped using ubuntu about a year ago. I've checked the bios but there's nothing on letting the alt + f10 recovery process be started. 

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Luqman>>>whats the easiest way to sort my laptop out?>>>

OK, you're ready for the big guns now. First, turn your machine upside down so you can read the SNID. Second, get out your credit card.  Third, tune in to https://store.acer.com/en-us/rcd/  8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Luqman1371

Thanks aain, sorry for getting back to you so late, laptops fully restored with all my files intact! 

Thanks so much for the help!

• JackE

Congrats! Did you wipe the Linux partition?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Luqman1371

Not entirely, it still gives me the option but I can't enter Linux, but it's not a drastic problem and I think it's time for a new laptop soon anyway so it'll stay as is till it annoys me!

This discussion has been closed.