Can't Install Windows 7. Installation hangs on disk.sys

acernew
acernew Member Posts: 2 New User

For the last couple of days I've been trying to install Windows 7 64-bit on my new ACER Aspire X3470 that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. Looks like it only supports UEFI since I couldn’t find any other setting in BIOS utility.  When I try to boot it from the Win 7 DVD it’s hanging on “Starting Windows” screen after the files are loaded and the system is rebooted. I tried to run it in “Safe mode with Command prompt” and it stops at:

Loading Windows Files:

Loaded: ...\system32\drivers\disk.sys

When I start the installation from Win 8 interface and choose disk partition that was created with Win 8 I’m getting this message:

“The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks go to the Microsoft website and search for GPT. Do you want to proceed with installation?”

If I go ahead it’s hanging again on “Loaded: ...\system32\drivers\disk.sys” after the system is rebooted.

I’ve tried to delete all partitions on the disk and convert it to MBR but the result was still the same probably because it’s an UEFI system and works only with GPT disks.

I’ve also tried to create and EFI-only version of Windows setup using oscdimg.exe per this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/184349-force-windows-7-install-dvd-to-do-an-efi-boot/

but the result was still the same.

I’ve got Windows 7 installation disk from MSDN with my subscription. Also tried Windows server 2008R2 installation (since my ultimate goal is to use it with Hyper-V) but the result was exactly the same.

Do I have any other options?

Answers

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

1.Completely shut down your computer.

2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the

BIOS.

3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.

4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.

5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.

6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.

7.Press Enter.

8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

Or you need to switch off UEFI. If nothin doesnt help trye downgrade BIOS(link below)

global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P01.A4_A_A.zip?acerid=634660934071949768&Step1=DESKTOP,%20WORKSTATION&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20X3470&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

• acernew
    acernew Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks a lot Tom. You saved my day. How could I miss this CSM option in BIOS.

• Daniel_Hatcher
    Daniel_Hatcher Member Posts: 1 New User

I joined just to say Thank You Tom, I was having this problem and fortunately Google found your post.

• runman
    runman Member Posts: 1 New User

In the BIOS,  just put DISABLED   on Legacy diskquet A:

• Cindy2011
    Cindy2011 Member Posts: 1 New User

I too signed up to give Kudos, I have an ASUS laptop with the same problem, this was just my second day of researching, glad to have found this post,  Thanks!

• mattsvensson
    mattsvensson Member Posts: 1 New User

Registered to say thanks to Tom as well.  I just got my Aspire S7 and wanted to put Win 7 on it, but it kept freezing.  The fix for me was to turn off UEFI.  I appreciate it!

Matt

• Talustus
    Talustus Member Posts: 1 New User

Just registered to say thx the CSM trick saved me Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.