Synaptic Touchpad Drivers not Installing correctly(Aspire V3-572G)

mrchappers
mrchappers Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello! I recently purchased an Aspire V3-572G. My touchpad works fine, supporting multi touch and scrolling, but I noticed in Control Panel--> Mouse there is no Synaptics tab. Under Mice and pointing devices in device manager there is only HID-compliant mouse. I downloaded the Synaptics driver through the acer website, ran setup , and it said it was successful. Yet there is still no Synaptics tab , Synaptics icon to configure settings, nor any new Synaptics touchpad under device manager, even after a restart. I've tried refreshing my notebook, but it didn't work to solve it.

The touchpad works fully, yet I find it disconcerting that I can not configure any of the settings or even get confirmation that the Synaptics driver was actually installed. If anyone has encountered this problem please let me know, or if they have any clues to solve it.

I should write that I have also tried this process with ELANTECH drivers to cover my bases if I was wrong about the manufacturer, but that also did nothing.

Answers

• mrchappers
    Editing my own post: I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer

Version of the drivers? are you downloading the drivers from acer support?

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

• mrchappers
    I believe it is 18.1.2.1_W81x64. That is the file I downloaded direct from Acer support. For some reason this device setting tab is just not showing up for anything
  • brummyfan2

Go to Control Panel, click Programs and see whether you have any ETD ware in there.

Capture 1.JPG

• mrchappers

No ETD Ware in Programs. Tried talking to Acer tech support but it seems as if I need a higher level support which isn't available until Monday.

• henryg
    henryg Member Posts: 1 New User

I have exactly the same problem but with an E5-571. Acer support deny any knowledge of similar problems; and this is the second physical unit. Neither reinstalling the drivers or a factory reset (done as requested) made any difference.

I suspect that their master image, or however they deal with loading new systems, is rubbish (being kind)

• GRAFTER
    GRAFTER Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the same problem as you, on my E5-511-p9y3

• guitarpete987
    guitarpete987 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm chiming in with the same issue. 

I just purchased an Aspire E5-571-55TL from Best Buy -- excellent computer, by the way -- but it is frustrating me to no end that I cannot access the device properties for the touchpad. 

This is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed! I used to love being able to have control over the touchpad gestures on my old Asus and I really want this functionality on my new computer.

This is truly the only rough spot for me on this excellent device. So frustrating. 

• brummyfan2

Make sure that you don't have ELAN touchpad, check in Device manager or look in Control Panel, Programs for ETDWare.

Get the drivers from here:http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

• brummyfan2

I have forgotten to mention that the driver may appear under Human Interface Devices in Device manager.

• JustAlfo
    JustAlfo Member Posts: 3 New User

I just received my Aspire V3-572G today and I'm having the same problem.  I have tried reinstalling the drivers multiple times, using the driver from the offical synaptics website.. Nothing seems to work.. 

• shadyguido
    shadyguido Member Posts: 5 New User

I have this same problem with my new R13.  I have tried to install drivers from various sources, to no avail.  Acer, why is there no Synaptics tab??

• keith111
    keith111 Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter

When the file is brought into the computer as "SAVED" option, it will go to the download file, still needing to be located and installed. The Synaptics touchpad controls in "Mouse>Device Settings>Setting" will appear when installed. Note the Synaptic file in "Programs/Synaptic", as well as in your "Device Manager>Mice and other pointing devices".

• JustAlfo

That's what is supposed to work, but it doesn't.

• keith111

Go to Control Panel --> Programs and Features and find Synaptic in the list. See if there is a conflict. Repair or reinstall.

• shadyguido
    I've discovered the problem: Acer's new touchpad is a "Precision Touchpad" capable device made by synaptics. Thus the only adjustments available seem to be in the metro settings interface, and they are very sparse. It is still a synaptics device and the drivers still install, so there must be a way to expose the synaptics tweaks. Now what could that be...?

Acer, couldn't you have told us this already?
  • keith111
  • JustAlfo
    Yea that's what I've found out as well. The driver just doesn't work like a normal synaptics driver. I've returned the product already and I'm going to be going with a different company. I've been using Acer for over 10 years, I can't believe they dropped the ball like this.
  • shadyguido

Yeah, this is awful.  Unless there is an Acer tech in here or another kind soul who can suggest a means of opting out of this precision touchpad nonsense and exposing the configuration options, I'm going to return my new R13 as well.

This discussion has been closed.