Annoying pop-ups

vinnie
vinnie Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I keep getting annoying pop-ups telling me my computer is in danger and click to scan. The message comes from Systweak.com. I have never been to their website is this some sort of malware?  

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

Yes, it does appear rather prolific. Many claim this to be a virus but, at this point, I don't believe it to be anything more than malware/adware. However, it is certainly not what I would expect of a professional vendor.

I'm sure you will appreciate that running a blocker to mask a rogue popup is far from ideal (but better than nothing). I would persevere.

Check your IE 'Manage add-ons' tab. If it appears there, you may be able to disable it (although probably not remove it from there - try running IE as administrator and see if that helps).

You could also try checking these registry keys to try and identify it (BE CAREFUL):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks

Should you find it, you can use Regsvr32 to remove it. Use: Regsvr32 /u <dllname>
    ('Regasm' may be required if it is a .NET assembly.)

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer

Hello Vinnie,

Systweak.com is software utilities for Windows optimization and it's a Microsoft gold partner. No problem

France
  • vinnie

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply, still very annoying though !

• Alan-London

Personally, I would advise you to remove the software (many claim this to be spyware).
    It is not endorsed or approved by Microsoft (any man and his dog can 'register' as a 'Gold Partner'!).
    Some info can be found here but you may wish to Google as it appears it can be difficult to remove:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_programs/uninstall-systweak-spyware-was-installed-in-my/4907cad4-c48f-45a0-99ef-6f1a25390340

• vinnie

Tinkerer

Hi Alan, Will give your suggestion a try later, thanks for replying. Will let you know if it works. regard's Vinnie

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer

Hello Alan,

"any man and his dog can 'register' as a 'Gold Partner'!"

See Microsoft pinpoint and try to register you.

France
  • Alan-London

Vinnie,
    Having checked further it appears that this is commonly piggybacked with other software which is typically checked by default in the hope that it will go unnoticed. Watch install screens carefully!
    A Google search will produce countless hits with details of how it may be removed.

For example:

'Systweak.com - Virus Removal Guideline - Blogger'
    This site gives details of how to remove systweak plus instructions to manually remove if it refuses to go!:

http://virusremovalguideline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/uninstall-systweakcom-popups-from.html

Alternatively, try:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/systweak-toolbar-removal/

Apparently, some people have been unable to remove it (I suspect because it doesn't appear in the list of installed programs) where others have had no problem. If you don't have any luck with one solution, try the next.

Laurent,
    Perhaps I need to expand my statement - I perhaps should have said 'any man, who is not a complete Banana, and his dog can 'register' as a 'Gold Partner'. Have a look at the criteria. Plus, if I were a cynic, I might suggest that you simply place the partner graphic on your web site!!

Interestingly, I get no hits when I search Microsoft's partner list for 'systweak'. I simply don't know what conclusion I should draw from that. Perhaps I simply missed it.

Finally, In reference to 'Microsoft Gold Certified Partner' Wikipedia notes "Also being listed as a Microsoft Partner does not indicate that a company is good or bad in providing products or services to people with Microsoft products". If that is indeed the case, it doesn't say much for the MGCP or give any suggestion that Microsoft actually police it. Carte blanche anyone?

Disclaimer: The above is nothing more than a point of view (which may or may not be mine - I've not been well!) Smiley Happy

• BeeSee
    BeeSee Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Alan-London wrote:

Having checked further it appears that this is commonly piggybacked with other software which is typically checked by default in the hope that it will go unnoticed. Watch install screens carefully!

Very important advice Alan!

• vinnie

Tinkerer

Hi Alan, so far so good but cannot find any related programmes to uninstal. Have now installed Adguard ADBlocker and it seems to be helping, early days yet. Googeling systweak.com pop-ups it looks like that half the world gets these annoying pop-ups. All the best Vinnie. (expat Belgium)

• Alan-London
    Answer ✓

Yes, it does appear rather prolific. Many claim this to be a virus but, at this point, I don't believe it to be anything more than malware/adware. However, it is certainly not what I would expect of a professional vendor.

I'm sure you will appreciate that running a blocker to mask a rogue popup is far from ideal (but better than nothing). I would persevere.

Check your IE 'Manage add-ons' tab. If it appears there, you may be able to disable it (although probably not remove it from there - try running IE as administrator and see if that helps).

You could also try checking these registry keys to try and identify it (BE CAREFUL):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks

Should you find it, you can use Regsvr32 to remove it. Use: Regsvr32 /u <dllname>
    ('Regasm' may be required if it is a .NET assembly.)

• vinnie

Tinkerer

If this is such a common problem and annoying so many people how come it is so difficult to track down and remove. I have read masses of stuff about it on the web and all seem to have differant ideas. I am running Norton 360 and IObit Advanced SystemCare 7 and they never pick it up. As for 'uninstal' nothing on there that links to Systweak. Will give your suggestions a try tommorow. Regards Vinnie

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Many programs even if you READ correctly and Install so not to get MALWARE, ads, still install.... best advice is pay attention to and if so, (STOP using the Program), not all 3d part sites are HONEST... also IE is one of the worse for allowing, ABE Ad Blocker works pretty well, I do recommend....
  • bigbear639
    bigbear639 Member Posts: 33 New User

I suggest you install Unchecky from http://www.unchecky.com this will remove all checkmarks when installing a program, it goves you the choice to then seleect any check mark you want to allow. 

• ombeni123
    ombeni123 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, I am Samuel and I have these popups that are name : C:\Program Files (x36) \Amazo\Amazon Assistant\aa.hta
    Ane they are giving me a hard time, I fail to get rid of them and am now tired, I dont know what to do cos I LOVE this computer so... much!!!! Pplease help me find a solutio for my computer 

Thank You