Button issues with Acer Aspire Switch

Ravynmagi
Ravynmagi Member Posts: 2 New User

I've been having problems with the Acer Aspire Switch tablet/2-in-1. The Windows button will stop responding, also the volume buttons and power buttons behave differently when the Windows button stops working. Such as volume up causes the Ease of Access Narrator toggle on and off, which usually requires a Windows + Volume Up combo to cause. So it's like when the Windows button fails the tablet thinks it's stuck on. Volume down causes the screen to dim and the power button brings up the lock screen instead of turning it off.

Things I've tried...

I've done a factory reset of Windows.

I've installed the keyboard firmware update.

I've tried removing all the Acer software.

I've tried rebooting.

The only thing that seems to work is powering the tablet off and back on. 

Oddly the same issue I'm having, I noticed the demo unit as Best Buy had the same issue. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

When the button is stuck, so that it's seen as pressed all the time, you get those symptoms. There are a few things that can cause it, but I'd look at dirt around the button first. Smiley Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ravynmagi
    Ravynmagi Member Posts: 2 New User

The button is clean. Seems like a hardware or design failure. 

• Poeta
    Poeta Member Posts: 3 New User

Same problem with mine Aspire Switch 10 Smiley Sad

Any resolution for this?

• archrr
    archrr Member Posts: 1 New User

Unfortunately, I hoped it was a one-off issue so I exchanged the first one I bought but the same issue again Smiley SadSmiley Sad

I really like the machine otherwise, so I'll send it in for a repair to Acer when I can in a couple weeks and see if they can fix it... Seems to be a widespread issue, clearly. Hopefully they acknowledge it.

• Poeta

Hi,

I'm going to call to Acer to see if is a resolution to this...

• webweaver40
    webweaver40 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm having the same problem . I made my purchase just a week ago and will be returning it awaiting a new purchase when / if the problem is fixed, or a better product in the same price ange emerges.

*This really is unfortunate because barring this glaring defect, the unit quite good.

• kenmanyak
    kenmanyak Member Posts: 1 New User

Same here. whenever i will press the up volume , the narrator pops up, since i bought it. But the store selling it, will not replace my acer aspire switch . too bad. 

• rcortespr
    rcortespr Member Posts: 3 New User

I also have the issue with the Windows soft-button. I disabled the shortcut for the Narrator in 'Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make touch and tablets easier to use'. The volume buttons still don't work when the Windows soft-button is stuck, but at least I don't get the narrator.

I hope there's a firmware update soon that fixes the issue or disables the button alltogether.

• Poeta

My Store replace my Acer Aspire Switch 10 but the new has the same problem Smiley Sad

Waiting the Acer to resolve this problem...

• webweaver40
    webweaver40 Member Posts: 3 New User

@Acer - this problem needs to be resolved ASAP or the Switch lineup is going to die a quick death and never gain traction in the market.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the delayed response regarding the Switch 10 issues being discussed here. In regards to the capacitive Windows key it is possible for it to involuntarily activate on occasion. We are not aware of any systemic issues that would cause the key to 'stick'. We've been unable to duplicate the button symptoms of 'sticking' or acting as if it's continually being pressed. If you're experiencing this issue, we recommend contacting your local service team.

If anyone is in the United States and has a Switch 10 experiencing a stuck Windows key and their Serial Number starts with NTL47AA001 I have a couple tablets available to swap. I'd like to help get samples into our engineers hands for further review.

• rcortespr
    rcortespr Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi Acer-Cory, I'd be willing to swap, I am in Puerto Rico, we use USPS here, and my serial number start with those numbers. 
    If I qualify please contact me so you can explain the process. The issue happens with my Switch 10 daily, and a reboot used to fix it but now it randomly fixes it, sometimes it does not.

• achreja
    achreja Member Posts: 1 New User

I am in the US as well and the unit I have has the same issue. My serial number starts with NTL47AA005. Will that be suitable for swapping with the unit you have?

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Thanks guys, I'll send both of you a private message.

• cianciafrullo
    cianciafrullo Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi. Same problem here in Italy. I've returned one unit thinkig it was faulty, but the new one has the same issue. Randomly, the capacitive windows button stops to work and volume up starts the hearing impaired assistant and volume down captures a screenshot (seems like the capacitive button thinks to be costantly touched). The only solution is to put the unit in suspend mode for a while. 

I hope that the problem is only a software issue with a future patch solution, because I like very much this tablet.

Thanks to everyone.

Guido 

• Persona
    Persona Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm a user from Singapore and I have this same issue with the Acer Switch 10.

It's really frustrating for this issue to occur as I had high hopes for this device.

Pressing the volume up button starts narrator, pressing the volume down button starts to take a screenshot.

This error occurs randomly from time to time. 

• daniel_tang
    daniel_tang Member Posts: 5 New User

I am from Singapore too

Just bought a Switch 10 a few hours ago

i have the same problem now, the capacitive windows button is not working, and pressing volume up button will trigger the audio assisted mode...

• maaike
    maaike Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same problem, in the Netherlands.

This needs to be fixed because without the keyboard you need the buttons!

I think my problems started when I installed the windows updates

• maaike
    maaike Member Posts: 2 New User

is there a fix yet?

I'm also having these problems, really annoying and almost regretting buying the switch 10

• Kronos1000
    Kronos1000 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am also form the Netherlands and I have the same problem. Hopefully this is a software issue so it can be patched, it's difficult to tell. It seems to occer after I leave the device in suspend mode for a while. I already chated with Acer and they forwarded the problem to the technical service, but I haven't heard from them yet.