eRecovery Management Acer Aspire One D257

kevin390
kevin390 Member Posts: 9 New User

I have a Acer Aspire One D257. Matter of affect I have two. My granddaughter hit a button and eased my HDD. I got a Flash drive and downloaded the Acer eRecovery Management as by the information I have got here. Well it got me to the Select Restore Type. I have Three options to choose from and the forth one which says exit. Well it only lets me hit the exit. What I need is Restore Operating System To Factory Defaults. Any help will be more then welcomed. I have two PC's and not a problem, but these little notbooks are driving me nuts. Once again thanks for your time and effort.............Ray

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Hi Ray. Instead of erecovering from a flash drive, try following this video for doing it from the hidden partition on the hard drive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ It's highly unlikely your grand-daughter erased this partition. Let us know how it works. Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kevin390

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I tried the ALT-f-10 trick for lack of a better word. It didn't work. On my good note book it says, after I hit f-2 on start up- HDD Model Name : WDC  WD3200BPVT-22JJ5T0 Then it says HDD Serial Number : [edited for privacy]. Now on the note book I am having troubles with it says HDD Model Name : NONE and it says the same thing for the HDD Serial Number. I don't know if this means anything or not, but on my desk tops if I ever had a problem with boot up I used the recovery cd's. But as you know the note book doesn't have a cd player. Do you think the flash drive is not a good way to recover a system. I made it bootable by checking with a couple of web sites just to make sure that it was done right. Because sometimes you might get a few different ways of doing something on the internet. It just that it lets me get just so close and I am hoping that it's something I can fix. I even heard about taking out the hard drive and putting it back in. But the only thing I could find about getting to the hard drive on the D257 is a bit over my head. Well once again any help will be more then welcomed............Ray

• JackE

>>>I even heard about taking out the hard drive and putting it back in. But the only thing I could find about getting to the hard drive on the D257 is a bit over my head.>>>

Yep, that's what I'd do since your bios and your bootstick don't seem to be detecting the hard drive. Re-seating it is a fairly simple job on most Aspire Ones. First, remove the battery. Then remove all the small screws on the bottom cover. You may have to use a small pry tool like a putty knife  to pop the cover off since there are a few plastic catches also holding things together --- if it seems stuck, double check that you've removed all the screws including those in the battery compartment. The hard drive is quite obvious and held in place with a metal strip with 2 screws. After removing the strip, simply lift the drive on one end and pull the other end out of its socket. Push it back in and pull it out a half-dozen or so times to clean the contacts. Then screw the metal strip back in place, pop the back cover back on, re-insert the battery and test it out. If this procedure doesn't work, the hard drive is likely toast. Then you simply tune into Amazon and select a 2.5" 250-500GB replacement for under $50 with free shipping.   

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• kevin390

Once again thanks for your time. I have one more question. I have a seagate external hard drive. I know the flash drive is good it has the eRecovery on it. I hooked it up to my good notebook and opened it up. Is there a way to use the external drive to bypass the one on the " broken "notebook so i can open the flash drive and run the eRecovery? Ray

• JackE

Power down the busted netbook. Plug the external in. Then power on and press F2 at the logo to enter the bios. If the bios detects the external as a potentially bootable device, you might be able to do it. Or you might not. 8^)

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• kevin390

Jack I think you are right my hard drive is shot. I watched that video on you tube and once I got the keyboard off it wasn't as bad as I thought. Putting the key board back on was a bit hard but I must have done it right because it works. Anyway I plugged and unplugged the hard drive a few times and it still does the same thing. That seagate external drive was just a shot in the dark and didn't work. So I guess I will go to amazon as you suggested. It just seems I was so close. I really appreciated your help .............Ray

• kevin390

Well I put in my seagate 2.5" 500GB replacement hard drive today. So far after allot of updates it seems to be running good. I notice I can add two GB of memory for about 20.00 Bucks. Will this make the note book run any better? On amazon they show one " card " for lack of the right word. I am told 2 GB is all the acer aspire one d257 can handle. So is it one " card " or two. Is it worth it. I want to thank everyone for their help and patience with this newbie to the fixing world. Have a great night.....Ray

• JackE

Congrats, Ray

2GB will probably not show much improvement if you stick with Starter. However, with 2GB, you can probably install and run a full Win7 version instead of Starter. Despite the advertised 2GB mem max, you might even get the bios to recognize 4GB or 8GB  1066MHz or faster DDR3 204 pin SODIMM module. Again, check Amazon decent ram deals.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kevin390

Well I'm going to order the 2 GB and upgrade the windows 7 Starter. My wife thinks  I'm tying to turn a Volkswagen into a Lexus. But I like this little notebook and amazon has good deals, a little slow on shipping unless you want to pay. I let you know how it works out. Like I said yesterday I am happy the way the hard drive worked out. Once again thanks for the help.....Ray

This discussion has been closed.