C720 Chromebook - wifi connection drops

2»

Answers

• kpucci
    kpucci Member Posts: 5 New User

just sent you a pm with file...hope it helps.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Thanks,

I've forwarded it on to our engineers. Any other submissions would be greatly appreciated. Remember, we're looking to capture the information as a wireless connection may fail.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Also, I've been asked, if someone has logs from their access point (router) that they can associate with the logs from their chromebook that would be even more helpful.

• kpucci
    kpucci Member Posts: 5 New User

Are you able to provide an update?  I need to know somethihg is being worked on or if I should return this unit.

• RdSaint
    RdSaint Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm having same problems with my Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-131.

I have an hp Chromebook and a tonne of other devices and two wifi connections in my house. Only this device had the issue. Any answers? I saved the debug log.
  • RdSaint
    RdSaint Member Posts: 2 New User
    Also, I reset it a few times that didn't work so I Powerwashed it. Not successful
  • kreiswig
    kreiswig Member Posts: 2 New User
    Recently bought my daughter an Acer Chromebook CB3- 131 (5 months ago to be exact)  and in the last month the wifi connections has started to drop off.  It will not even locate your home network connection or accept any of our SSID or passwords to reset.  We have multiple devices connected to our home wifi that have not like issues.  This same issue also happens using the school wifi connection.  Found this thread that highlights that this may be an ongoing issue.  Has it been confirmed/resolved?  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Kreiswig, you are still in warranty so should probably contact Acer support on your issue. Sometimes we've heard of the antenna wires coming loose from the WiFi card, and that often gives the same symptoms. Try moving the Chromebook very, very close to the router and see if it works well there. If so it could be the antenna issue. If that makes no difference it's more likely to be hardware issues with the motherboard or Wifi card.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Herbert
    Herbert Member Posts: 1 New User
     I have had my Acer C720 for not quite a week and have had nothing but trouble with the wifi on this particular unit.   Currently I have two Toshiba laptops, two Samsung S8 phones, A Roku stick, and HP printer connected to the wifi network and none of that equipment has any issue whatsoever. The Chromebook is the only unit that pukes on the network.   My friends, Chromebooks are supposed to simplify ones life not complicate it.  This is going back to COSTCO first thing tomorrow as I am not inclined to trouble shoot problems for Acer or go through the hassle of dealing with warranty issues on a Chrome that I haven't even had for a week.  Shame on Acer for this rubbish.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Just checked, Chromebook 14 (CB3-431) and Spin 1 are sitting next to each other with a bookshelf and two wall between the Wireless router (about 30 feet away) and the devices. Chromebook is reading -55 db and Spin 1 -50 db (lower is better). Since not using the same program I am not sure how they compare.

Using SPEEDTEST.NET they are nearly identical in download and the Chromebook is slightly faster in upload but may be due to the four-core vs two-core processor. (the Chromebook is more powerful than the Spin 1).

• billsey
    Herbert, is there a chance that one of the antennas is loose inside? The symptoms would disappear if you moved it really close to the router. You could take it back and get a replacement if that were the case.

Also, the C720 is an older model. I think what Costco is selling right now is the CB3-431, the Chromebook 14. I just picked one up a few month ago and really like it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tdubaniewicz
    tdubaniewicz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Has any new research been done to resolve wifi connection problems on chromebook?  Should I use a separate router, with no security? Will that help keep the connection stable?
  • billsey
    There are different issues that can cause the same or similar symptoms, none of which should be affected by open vs. encrypted connections. If you are seeing poor signal quality the problem is often the antenna connections as mentioned above. You can usually test that by moving your Chromebook right next to the router to see if the issues go away. Sometimes it's the WiFi card that's glitchy, if you are out of warranty then opening it up and reseating can sometimes help, failing that it's usually possible to replace the card. Occasionally Google does an update that screws with the WiFi, rolling back a version or waiting for a new one is pretty much all you can do then, though you can open a ticket with Google to help them find that it's a problem with the new build.
  • abrannan
    abrannan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Checking in 13 months later. I have an older C720P that was connecting fine to my prior router, and will connect fine to an unauthenticated network on my new router, but will not connect to the secured network on my new router. Has a fix been developed/deployed for this 6 year old issue?