Blue fn key

silviaderasner
silviaderasner Member Posts: 4 New User

Where on the acer Aspire keyboard is the fn key to enable the blue key functions?

Answers

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hello.

Which model of Acer Aspire?

Kind Regards

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

If it is a desktop, there usually is no FN key. Only laptops and netbooks have that feature. They assist with the function of the comptuer that desktops do not have.

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

the function key is the (FN) key on the bottom left side of the Keyboard

• tom85

Hello

Tabbiekatz sorry to say it but you are wrong. I have Aspire 5600U and my keyboard have FN key.

So like You say ''If it is a desktop, there usually is no FN key.'' so if silviaderasner can tell us which model of Acer he've got, we will be know more about solutions.

Kind Regards

• silviaderasner

Thank you all for your immediate reply. The model is Acer Aspire M3450.

On the bottom left there is the Ctrl key, then moving to the right a key that I don't recognize, then the Windows key, then Alt key and then space bar.

The keyboard is using blue to translate keys to French, AND for special keyboard functions or characters. Quiet confusing.

Thanks again,

Silvia

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Try looking at this link. This may help out alot. It sounds like you have a french canadian keyboard:

http://www3.uakron.edu/modlang/french/keyboard.html

• tom85

Hello.

Maybe this solution will be one what you expect

''Special keys - It's activated by pressing Ctrl+fn+right Shift. To deactivate, press Ctrl+fn+right Shift twice, meaning Ctrl+fn+right Shift then let go of Shift while still holding Ctrl and fn, then press Shift again''

Regards

• silviaderasner

Hi Tabbiekatz,

It does help, however I have tried both the left and right ALT and nothing happens. No way I can get the blue symbol to appear.

Very frustrating!

Thanks,

Silvia

• silviaderasner

Hi Tom85,

Problem is the 'fn' key is not on this French keyboard. I guess the solution is to buy a new keyboard :-)

Thanks all the same,

Silvia

• Brambo
    Brambo Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello there,

I have this problem, too; a blue “FN'' function key on my SK-9020 Acer keyboard, on the lower-left, bottom row, between the CTRL and Windows keys.

Often when I am typing I accidentally activate this function - French characters - quite frequently.  I just tried pressing Ctrl+Fn+right Shift, and it did activate it.  However, when I tried to DE-activate it as you described -- press Ctrl+fn+right Shift twice, meaning Ctrl+fn+right Shift then let go of Shift while still holding Ctrl and fn, then press Shift again'' -- it DOES NOT WORK.

I have tried dozens of permutations and combinations of keys on the keyboard to turn off this function, but none of them work.  The ONLY thing that works to restore my keyboard to the proper, original characters is re-booting the computer.

Please tell me *exactly* how to de-activate this function without re-booting.

Thank you.

• blackprince
    blackprince Member Posts: 13 New User

Hi,

Please try the steps below.

Press left ALT+Shift keys to toggle the keyboard between French and English.

In case if it does not work there would be an icon as EN in the system tray or notification area(Bottom right of the screen). Make a double click on it and you will see 3 options : - Canadian French and Canadian Multilingual and US. In that click on US for English and check whether the issue persists.

Thanks.

• sweethussie
    sweethussie Member Posts: 1 New User

This deffinitely works even on Acer 7750G. Many Thanks!!! Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.