Aspire R7-572 Teardown

Dan_Rasch
Dan_Rasch Member Posts: 1 New User

I wanted to:

-- Install an mSSD

-- Have the mSSD be my OS drive

-- Make a fresh installation of Windows

To start, I was unable to make a truely virgin installation of Windows. I tried installing via USB, via Windows 8.0 DVD, via Windows 8.1 DVD, using both home and Pro license versions and I could find NO way to install virgin Windows (without the Acer bloatware). The best option I could find is to make an external recovery, allow it to install to a formatted hard drive, then you have a bloat-ware laiden but otherwise untouched Windows install. Here are before/after pics of my installation immediately after recovery (with bloatware), then after I manually uninstalled bloatware:

ACER-R7 Fresh Install = 25.6 GB.png

ACER-R7 = 18.0 GB after cleanup.png

Acer Recovery Discs can be created by using the Acer eRecovery Management program. An external USB CD or DVD writer is required in order to create the Recovery CDs or DVDs.

1. Plug in your AC adapter.
  2. Click Start, and then All programs.
  3. Click Acer and then Acer eRecovery Management.
  4. You may be prompted to enter or create a password. Once created, this password will be required to use Acer eRecovery Management in the future.
  5. In the next window, select Backup.
  6. Insert a blank CD or DVD into the external CD or DVD writer.
  7. Click on Create Factory Default Disc and then click Start.

With that external recovery, you can now:

-- Remove back cover of device

-- Install mSSD

-- Reinstall back cover of device

-- Plug in your external HDD or DVD that has the recovery on it

-- Boot the PC

-- Immediately press Alt+F10 to access the recovery options

-- Make sure you select the correct hard drive

-- After installing, you can format the included 1TB HDD if you please. Then, you will have a fresh, empty 1TB HDD and an mSATA SSD of your choosing running the OS at super speed

Here is the torx bit set I used. Tamper-proof is not necessary, I selected that for other reasons. I think it is a T8 bit that I used (per the description on the bit, shown in below picture album).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002T5O5LO

Here is an imgur album with high-res photos of:

-- Disassembly

-- Internals

-- BIOS screen captures

http://imgur.com/a/GoPJw

Here are a few preview shots:

E1IFzPj.jpg

Motherboard

Here are the posts that gave me enough information to do what I've shown above (thanks to the posters!):

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-R7-572-SSD-or-mSata/m-p/173215#M31793

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Upgrading-Ram-on-Aspire-R7/m-p/111915#M22782

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Thanks for taking the time to post this Dan. I hope others are able to benefit from this and you get some solid feedback on the process.

While Acer does not support the installation of the 3rd party drive, places like the community are a great way for members to share content like this that helps others get the most out of their Acer products if they're willing to learn and put the time in.

• Maverick59
    Maverick59 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello !!

Thanks a lot for this tutorial !

I've just bought an acer R7-572 equiped with a tiny 24Go SSD ! So, i've bought a Samsung 240Go SSD to replace the tiny one.

My question : do you think i can follow your tutorial to replace the 24Go SSD by the 240Go SSD ? Is it the same ? And if not, can you explain me how to do ?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english !

Best regards.

Laurent

• Colchicine
    Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User

I registered just so I could give Dan the proper recognition for this post.
    Dan is one of the reasons I decide to buy the R7, and one of the reasons I just dropped $220 on a 480 GB SSD.  I plan to install it and completely remove the HDD.

Question for Dan, though.  What programs did you remove that you deemed to be bloat?  Edit:  You appear to have answered this with your screen shots.

• yoyo
    yoyo Member Posts: 3 New User

Is necessary to physically remove the HDD while doing the process or not? I have been found split answers... thanks.

• Colchicine
    Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User

No, you can continue to use your HDD in addition to the SDD.

• yoyo
    yoyo Member Posts: 3 New User

thanks!

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Different Acer but still new UEFI Windows 8.1 OEM, after I made the USB Factory Recovery Disk, what to seee if you can install a CLEAN Install, and YES you can, 1.) Windows 8.1 Professional Disk also has Core - so no key is needed to install, KEY is embedded so will install perfect, but a trick is needed... a. You have to FORMAT the HDD first... and remove all Partitions... then REBOOT, set SafeBoot - OFF and select the proper Media, I use USB - faster than DVD. it will take a bit due to setting the proper UEFI. LEAVE the USB inserted until Finished and Reboot into HDD, then you select Remove Device... No Fuss, No BloadWare, any way on my U5-610. I have since upgrade the HDD to 7200 RPM and 16 MB Ram, DDR3L. 1.35v. Am now considering the Purchase of the R7. Love the TearDown page (Thanks much), any other (hints) about the R7. to consider... Thanks Much Snuffy (BW9 Mod)
This discussion has been closed.