S7: black screen on startup

S7owner
S7owner Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

S7, barely a month old.  Shut it down last night, left lid open, and power cord plugged in.

Today it will not move beyond a black screen on start-up.  Starts up with "Acer explore beyond limits" startup screen, then just goes to black.  However, I can see the couse pointer on the screen and can move it around with touchpad and mouse.

I've rebooted several times, unplugged power cord, etc.  No luck.

Looking around, seems I'm not the only one with this issue.

Come on Acer, I dropped a lot of cash on this machine!  Please help!!!

Best Answer

• S7owner
    Answer ✓

Okay, here's how I fixed my problem as described in my original post (for now, anyway):

Unplug from power.  Open lid; computer will power on but go into black screen.

Power off, using button on side, but leave lid open.

Then, with (1) computer off and (2) lid open and (3) cord unplugged, push and hold power button for 30 seconds.  Computer will quickly power on and then quickly power off (you will see the Acer logo boot-up screen, but it will power off before going into black screen).  Keep holding power button through all of this for the full 30 seconds.

At the end of 30 seconds, computer will be (should be) off.   Release your finger from power button.  Keep lid open during all of this.

With lid open, plug in AC power.  Press power button as you normally would (you are not holding it this time) to power on.

Computer should start normally.

Worked for me; hope it helps if you're having the same problem.  I'm told it has something to do with static build-up.

Answers

• S7owner
    Answer ✓

Okay, here's how I fixed my problem as described in my original post (for now, anyway):

Unplug from power.  Open lid; computer will power on but go into black screen.

Power off, using button on side, but leave lid open.

Then, with (1) computer off and (2) lid open and (3) cord unplugged, push and hold power button for 30 seconds.  Computer will quickly power on and then quickly power off (you will see the Acer logo boot-up screen, but it will power off before going into black screen).  Keep holding power button through all of this for the full 30 seconds.

At the end of 30 seconds, computer will be (should be) off.   Release your finger from power button.  Keep lid open during all of this.

With lid open, plug in AC power.  Press power button as you normally would (you are not holding it this time) to power on.

Computer should start normally.

Worked for me; hope it helps if you're having the same problem.  I'm told it has something to do with static build-up.

• 4showalters
    4showalters Member Posts: 1 New User

try to find my code our pin so i can get into my slide acer. againok.

• ericendy
    ericendy Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Unbelievable. I was up all night trying to sort this out.

I wish I knew why it worked but it appears to have been successful.

Thanks for your help.

• Steve_l1
    Steve_l1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had my Acer S7 for 4 days and got the same black screen problem.

I am glad to report that the procedure here fixed the problem.

Acer should sort this out - this is not cheap laptop.
  • Setonaksa
    Setonaksa Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks for the bail-out.  Your solution worked for me and I am very grateful to you for posting the advice.  I would only add that in my case there was about a 30 - 40 sec delay at the end at the final 'power on' with adapter connected until the Eureka moment.  On that final power-up, the S7 boots, the Acer logo comes on for a few secs then dies just as before [that's when one curses the day the ultrbook was purchased] but wait ..........give it time ................ the Seattle page appeared just like magic after about 30 - 40 secs of the logo disappearing. Frankly, I had given up and after 3 frustrating hours going around in circles (just updated to Win 8.1 so thought it was the culprit) I was on my way to top up my glass of wine but then saw your guidance and the other correspondent's confirmation of its success. I have now topped up and with a smug smile on my face drink to your good health.  A copy of your instrs will be inserted into the S7 carrying case for as long as I have it.

• NZMal
    NZMal Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks so much, this worked for me too although I didn't hook up to power when re-powering.  Any recurrence from those of you who have fixed this ahead of me?

• charleslinquist
    charleslinquist Member Posts: 1 New User

None of the techniques worked for me.  I get the Acer ... and then

get a blue screen with the message

Your PC ran into problems and needs to restart, we are collecting some information and will restart for you.

It then restarts and says 

Preparing Automatic repair for a few seconds and then shuts itself off.  

At other times, it gets to the ACER screen and the little "wheel" spins forever.

I have tried pressing all the function keys, and the DEL key while it (tries to) start up, but I can't get into BIOS.

• S7-392-user
    S7-392-user Member Posts: 1 New User

I've had the same problem, getting the black screen, followed by the blue "Repair Needed" screen, followed by the black "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, followed by shutdown. I tried unplugging the AC adapter and pressing/holding the power button for 30 sec. After numerous tries it eventually booted. But when I plugged it back in and allowed the battery to fully charge, it happened again. And again. Then I found that if I unplugged it and pressed/held the battery reset button for 20 sec, it would reboot immediately. But again, when the battery got to full charge it happened again. Finally I ran across a post in the Forums about the ACER USB Charge Manager app. It suggested setting the "power-off USB charging" option to "only when the notebook is plugged in". I made this change, and now after 3 days with the AC charger plugged in I have not had any further problem. I have no idea why it worked. I hope this helps other folks.

• wpaul42
    wpaul42 Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem as described by charleslinquist. I tried all the recommended solutions and none worked for me.

This happened once before and the fix was to leave the computer on, lid open, not plugged into AC charger, and allow the start-up loop to repeat itself until the battery power ran out. This can take a long while since the longevity of the S7 battery is very high. In my case I allowed the loop to run over night. When the battery was completely dead I plugged in the AC power and started normally.

This time I discovered an immediate fix.

1. Unplug the AC power

2. Power off the computer

3. Find the Battery Reset Pinhole on the underside of the laptop

4. Insert a paperclip into the pinhole and press for 4 seconds to reset the computer

5. Start normally

Hope this works!

• Dawn_2000
    Dawn_2000 Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks so much!!!! Smiley Happy

• fawwaz
    fawwaz Member Posts: 4 New User
    wow I got the same problem...I suppose its an update issue..I did what u explained n it seems to work now(though it is still on working on updates right now).. but hey thanks..cheers Smiley Happy
  • sbarlow
    sbarlow Member Posts: 1 New User

I have to say THANK YOU!!!!

My boyfriend has the Acer Aspire E1-572 and I tried everything to get his black screen with mouse pointer problem fixed.

I did the remove battery fix, the update bios fix, couldn't do the safemode fix because I couldn't get shift f8 to work...

Your simple solution actually worked with one slight change (probably because I have the e1-572):

At this step (bolded and underlined for clarity): Then, with (1) computer off and (2) lid open and (3) cord unplugged, push and hold power button for 30 seconds.  Computer will quickly power on and then quickly power off (you will see the Acer logo boot-up screen, but it will power off before going into black screen).  Keep holding power button through all of this for the full 30 seconds.

I had to manually hit the power button again real quick to make it power on and off. But it worked all the same!!!!!

Thanks a million!!! Smiley Happy

• davidrippon
    davidrippon Member Posts: 4 New User

Thanks - worked for me as well. Acer wanted me to send the PC back for hardware invetsigation so I have asked them exactly what the probelm is as so many of us seem to have it.

• ylnahar
    ylnahar Member Posts: 1 New User
    wpaul42, Thank you for the tip about resetting the battery. It was a life saver for me!

Cheers!
  • Ascension
    Ascension Member Posts: 1 New User

S7Owner, thank you very much!

You make my day Smiley Very Happy

I had the same problem with my Acer ES1-311R.

Tried your soultion with 30 seconds, and it works!

Best regards,

Ascension

• goud1977
    goud1977 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My acet gonr blank screen last night ,just gone through the instructions & Thanks for the information it worked for me also thanks once again to acer community.
  • FredA
    FredA Member Posts: 1 New User

Bless you!

• Jill_valley
    Jill_valley Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you so much! I fixed my 18 year old son's laptop, plus overrode obnoxious teen boy cockiness in one fell swoop!
  • brson
    brson Member Posts: 1 New User

A thousand blessings on you, WPaul!  Your "immediate fix" was the only solution that worked.  After hours of painful research, digging and failed attempts.  Thank you!! 

• celeza
    celeza Member Posts: 4 New User

My friend, I will save you because i had the same windows blue screen loop.

1) Close the lid and remove power suply.

2) Use a clip to press the litle reset button on the small hole on the back of the notebook. Press it for 30 seconds.

3) Your computer should reboot normally.