Help? Intermittent WiFi failure, Aspire V3-571G, Win 8 (Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 network adaptor)

tcmomo3
tcmomo3 Member Posts: 6 New User

Argh.  Just purchased this Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407 with Windows 8 for Christmas, and the wireless network card fails several times per hour.  To temporarily fix it, I have to go into Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections, then select my WiFi connection and click 'Diagnose this Connection', which reset it.  And then maybe it will work for another 20 minutes before failing again.  VERY frustrating.  

I saw on the Acer support site that they've been having problems with the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 network adaptor.  I downloaded and installed the most recent driver today (Driver Version: 10.0.0.217).  This seemed to speed-up my WiFi connection significantly, but did NOT resolve the intermittent WiFi network adaptor failures.

Can anybody help?  I'd hate to return what is otherwise a solid laptop.

Thanks

Answers

• dracore
    dracore Member Posts: 5 New User

What do you mean by network card failure?  Are you getting "Limited connection" and/or wifi dropouts?

If you scan through the forum you will see similar wifi problems for V3, V5, S7 even with the latest wifi drivers.

• Chircop97
    Chircop97 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi. I have the same exact problem. I have an acer V3-571G and i have the latest version of the drive (10.0.0.217). I think I have found a solution. I went to device manager --> Network Adapters --> properties on the network wireless adapter --> power managment tab and deselected to turn off the adapter to save power option. Till now it doesn't seem to have any problems. 

• agraham
    agraham Member Posts: 4 New User

I'm having a similar problem with this adapter on the Aspire V2-551-8469. However, mine is not intermittent. It stopped working all together as if it were switched off. I tried your suggestion on the power management, but to no avail. This is very frustrating as I've only had the laptop 6 weeks. If anyone has any other ideas, please pass them on. Thanks in advance.

• alexdonc
    alexdonc Member Posts: 4 New User

Nice one indeed Acer. On my Acer M5-851PTG I have the same issue. I am currently running v 10.0.0.200. I will define telly download and see what's happening after the upgrade to 10.0.0.217 v3 though I doubt that..

• alexdonc
    alexdonc Member Posts: 4 New User

As originally supposed the update didn't solve the issue of intermittent WiFi failure. Moreover - the failure is frequently now... I think I'll call for service a.s.a.p. For an almost 1000EUR PC this is unacceptable.

• Arcticbird
    Arcticbird Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, I think I have a simple solution fix and I wanted to pass along to others that might find themselves angry and frustrated with the same problem. I was first going to post this solution in a new topic but the auto search found this already exsiting thread so here goes..

When Windows 8 does updates, for some reason it likes to auto disable a vital Windows service app that must be running in order for your PC to find and connect to your Network Wifi internet. It's called "Wlansvc" (WLan Auto config) and you can find it be clicking on the Task manager tab called "services" and then right clicking on it and selecting "enable" or "start" to start the service. As soon as you do this you should automatically regain a connection to the internet.

You must remember to do this everytime you restart your PC as this service will probably be disabled again. Who knows why? A good shortcut around this is to just set your PC to hibrinate everytime you close your netbook's lid which you can do by going to power settings, customizing your "balanced power scheme" and changing what happens when you close your computer's lid. That way everytime you turn your PC back on, you'll still be connected to the internet without any further action required. Hope this info helps! Cheers! :-)

By the way, LOVE the new Acer desktop wallpaper of the shadow circles over the ripe green shady grass! 

• ashkan
    ashkan Member Posts: 2 New User

My laptp has windows 8 singl language [original] and i instslled all of drivers and uodates of windows  and acer... but still can not turn on wifi and even used of fn+f2 &fn=f3 but do not turn on wifi LED and dont open search for wifi...

• ashkan
    ashkan Member Posts: 2 New User

My laptp has windows 8 singl language [original] and i instslled all of drivers and uodates of windows  and acer... but still can not turn on wifi and even used of fn+f2 &fn=f3 but do not turn on wifi LED and dont open search for wifi...***

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

This thread was created in 2012 with minimal interaction after the first couple of posts. I'm locking this thread.

@ashkan I would suggest searching for an appropriate thread or creating a new thread.  Also, please tell us specifically what model you have as it would be inefficient to assume you're talking about the same V3-571G this long after the original post.

This discussion has been closed.