Touch screen not working

SueAreanja
SueAreanja Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Aspire V5-431P. After 6 months usage the touch screen just stopped working and no it is saying "No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display". Also I have only a "Synapstics PS/2 Port Touch Pad" driver.

Have I lost the correct driver or what is wrong. I tried troubleshooting and it said that there are some issues but didn't offer any repair.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Sue

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Sue

I presume you have Windows 8. A couple of things for you to try:

A. Use System Restore to a date when you knew it was working:

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time
    1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, then click Search.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

If the above process fails to work

B. Go to Acer support for your region & click on "Drivers & Manuals" and enter the details of your laptop. Then, under the drivers tab, locate the driver & reinstall.

Hopefully this will help!

• SueAreanja

Hi Finlux,

I have Windows 8.1 and can't restore back to the time before this issue accured.

I also had a look at acer's homepage for the correct driver but there is no driver for pen and touch on it. I hace updated the Synaptics driver which is under the category mouse and other pointing devices - no effect.

Further I have contacted acer's helpline. They are saying it is a setting issue - how can it be a setting issue? They also recommended me to perform a troubleshoot. I did so with the result : Problems found - Hardware changes might not have been detected - but that hasn't helped me to find a solution yet :-(

Thanks for listening.

• finlux

Hi Sue

The only thing I can suggest is to back up all your data & perform a factory reset from your recovery partition. This will reinstall Windows 8.0 back to your machine. This will restore your machine back to the day you bought it. See if it works ok. 

If it does then it is a driver issue/compatibility problem - Microsoft seems to have a few issues with 8.1. If you find that the problem still exists, then it will be an hardware issue. You will then have to contact Acer support again, tell them that a factory restore was performed, and that the problem is still there.

Good luck!

• SueAreanja

Hi Finlux,

thanks for taking time for me. :-)

In your opininion: should I avoid updating to windows 8.1 in general? Would it be better to stay with windows 8?

Thanks for all your advice.

Sue

• finlux

Hi Sue!

Yes, for now, I would leave the update, until new drivers are released and problems are solved.

Glad to be of some help!

• olgazp01
    olgazp01 Member Posts: 1 New User

Sue, I don't know if you ever resolved the problem, but I thought I would share with you my experience with my Aspire E1-470P touch screen.  It was working 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden stopped working.  I contacted Acer support 4 times and got 4 different answers:

1. Go to Tablet PC and set up - except the touch screen doesn't work to set it up.

2. Go to Pen and Touch - but again, couldn't do setup there because touch screen didn't respond.

3.  Restore to a previous version - before it stopped working.  That didn't work.

4.  Refresh the system.  That didn't work.

I contacted them today and they told me I would have to restore to factory settings.  At that point I decided I didn't want to have all my data backed up and then restored.  It occurred to me that the touch screen is glass.  When you use it a lot it is going to get a film on it.  Guess what.  I cleaned the screen and it is now FULLY functional.  It was something my dad told me - always look for the simplest things first.  It worked!  Maybe it will work for you.

• chicabebe5608
    chicabebe5608 Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks you for sharing your experience and solution. I did not have a chance to call Acer helpline but I did the suggested solutions I found in the internet. Wiped clean my Aspire E1-470P after already refreshing it....it was a hell of a 2 days. And out of the blue, it just started working yesterday. I was so happy. Whatever changes I tried in the control panel (god knows) probably worked.... and then......it stopped working again after I tried to wake it up this morning. So I found your solution about cleaning the surface, wow! Thank you. It started working.

I also think it's because the screen heats up that the temperature could not detect my finger...(just a wild guess). I used a little tiny bit of rubbing acohol on a tissue... Thanks again Smiley Happy

• finlux

Great - glad you're fixed Smiley Happy

• Step51
    Step51 Member Posts: 1 New User

thanks mate. just cleaning the screen did the trick

thanks again

This discussion has been closed.