Aspire M5-481PT keyboard malfunctioning

abone114
abone114 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello, I've searched this board all over to find someone else with the same problem I'm having but I was unable to. Randomly, certain keys on my keyboard stop working. Namely the Q, T, U, P, J, 1, 3, _ and the left arrow key. I've tried a few things to try and fix this. First I tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and restarting the computer which does fix the problem SOMETIMES but this is sporatic and the next time I boot up there is a good possibility the problem will return. The next thing I tried was going onto the 'Ease of Access menu and checking on 'Filter Keys' clicking apply then I uncheck 'Filter Keys' and again click apply. This also fixes the problem but this too is sporatic and does not last. The only other thing I can think of is trying to reset the laptop to factory settings (extremely annoying). What is the problem here? This is a manufacturer refurbished laptop and I bought on March 4th, 2013. Would this issue be covered under warranty? Any help would be necessary, I'm a writer so this problem is affecting me greatly. Thanks!

Answers

• abone114
    abone114 Member Posts: 3 New User

No one has seen this before?

• SureArrow
    SureArrow Member Posts: 2 New User

Please do not try to  speak for the entire Acer customer base!

I have this same while I'm trying to type this message.  MANY others have it too if you Google search it.  Many, for me, its Acer's spacebar (middle and left side only malfunction).

• PREINHARD1
    PREINHARD1 Member Posts: 1 New User

I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM and can only enter info consistently using the touch screen keyboard.  does the company ever look at these posts to offer help?

• UK-EUR
    UK-EUR Member Posts: 1 New User

Selecting [Fn + NumLk] fixes the malfunctioning A-Z letter keys in my case. 

However, I'm still experiencing issues with the Arrow keys and the top row Function keys (F1, F2, ... F12).

In addition, upper-casing an [A] character requires the use of the [left shift] key, it does not work when the [right shift] key is activated.

As per the above posting, I'm continuing to search for a more complete, long-term resolution to the problem.

• gsmith3835
    gsmith3835 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm hving the sme problem with the one nd  key. It's such  pin to hve to use the onscreen keybord. It used to strt working gin fter  while, but ltely functionlity hsn't been returning. It seems like there is obviously  mnufcturer defect with this model.

• aiabroker
    aiabroker Member Posts: 1 New User

Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I'm having the same problem with the exact same keys.  I just ordered a new keyboard so hopefully that does it.  Thank god for the touchscreen.

• wenkier
    wenkier Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi everyone,

I have the same issue as well with two kinds of Acer M5 in France and with a French keyboard for a year. Both of them are in Windows 8.1 x64 with the 128SSD.

I first used the warranty to get the issue fixed, but the guys have never figured it out and got me a new M5. I got the issue again 6 months later and I am tired of professionals not being able to get this fixed. This is ridiculous.

Then I did the work myself. Although I unmount the keyboard several times by opening the laptop, the issue still remains. I have noticed that the issue comes back more often if I travel a lot with my laptop. 

I am now trying to run different kinds of drivers, new and old versions hoping to get something that runs properly. I am surprised that Acer doesn't do anythink for this issue, knowing that it seems extremely common and that the laptop is quite expensive (700 euros on sales in France in July 2013).

Anyone has tried to install windows 7 instead ?

Let me know if anyone has found a solution.

• cliffy32
    cliffy32 Member Posts: 2 New User

Same problem I have this error code" Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"any helpnwill be greatly appreciated!

• cliffy32
    cliffy32 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Everybody,

So I found the fix that worked for me.

I hope it will work for all of you who are or have been looking for the fix to this most annoying problem.

It deals with erasing certain values in your registry which is explained in a number of easy to follow screenshots at this website.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ss/upperfilters-lowerfilters-sbs.htm

It worked like a charm for me.

Good luck!

Cheers

• wenkier
    wenkier Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, 

I tried the above solution, deleting registry values. All it did was not recognizing my keyboard anymore (or any USB keyboard connect to the PC). I had to put the registry key back to recover a functioning keyboard. The original issue still remains though. I have been missing on and off the follwing keys:  "Tab, 1, ², escape and caplock."

I am still looking for reliable options. I have installed Windows 7 and it seem to work. However I have not been using it long enough to know if it is a lucky fix or a steady improvement.

Best.

• Ianos
    Ianos Member Posts: 3 New User

M3-581TG / Windows 7 / 128SSD

General

I own two more acer laptops and from time to time I faced problems in both of them and I can tell you that you should not expect any Acer help from here.

The problem

- I also have this problem with the keyboard malfunctioning in my Acer M3-581TG (for the second time...)

- I am almost sure that this is not a problem caused from a software or registry malfunction or something like that. I formatted my acer in order to solve the problem, clean installations of windows 7 didn't solve the problem. I even tried a clean windows xp installation but the problem also didn't solved.
    -The problem appeared before 4 months, after plenty of months without any problems.
    I am not sure but I have an idea that this could be a problem caused by overheating the printed ribbon cable of the keyboard due to that I use my acer many hours per day without an extra ventilation fan base.

So.. Before 3 months I replaced the keyboard with a brand new genuine one. And everything seemed to work fine. I checked the faulty keyboard but I didn't found any problems in the printed ribbon cable or in the joints.
    Before 15days the keyboard malfunctioning problem appeared again..

I will replace once more time my keyboard but this time I will use an extra ventilation fan base with my acer and I really hope to solve this problem for ever.. in any other case.. bye bye acer.