Chromebook C720 - No mobile internet connection with my usb dongle - not even recognised.

Baldocci
Baldocci Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello

Your help please. I am using an Acer C720 Chromebook purchased in the UK but I'm now in Brazil and I cannot access my mobile data package - the operator is TIM and the dongle is Olivetti, Olicard 160. I can access the free wi-fi from the nearby plaza but that means I have to perch on the 3 inch window ledge of my bedroom, not comfortable. I have an Acer Aspire One D255 with me as a back up (good job I have it) and it uses the same USB dongle with no  problems - but being 3 years old a lot more slow and clunky than the chromebbok for inernet - but it works. Back to my problem, why when I plug the TIM USB stick with sim card into my C720 Chromebook, is it not being recognised? Any opinions most welcome, as I would love to use this Chromebook sitting at my table, if its possible in Brazil ! Many thanks, Baldocci - a semi luddite.

Best Answer

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Not a lot of support for that kind of hardware in Chromebooks. I have heard more cellular adaptor support is coming but I have heard that for a while. Lot of dongles dont even work with Mac's so your better option is a MyFi personal Cellular device. That way you can connect your Chromebook through the WiFi portion of that adaptor.

Answers

• jescott418

I doubt your mobile USB device is compatible with Chrome OS. You need drivers to make that device work. Chrome OS supports basic USB devices like mice,keayboards and most storage devices. Even some USB to LAN devices. But I have yet to see a Cellular USB Modem compatible. A solution if you need cellular access is to buy a MyFi device from your cellular carrier and connect Chromebook via wifi connection. 

• Baldocci
    Baldocci Member Posts: 4 New User

thank you for your reply jescott, i will go down the road you suggest and will purchase a myfi device. again, thank you for your reply, most appreciated. baldocci

• jescott418
    Answer ✓

Not a lot of support for that kind of hardware in Chromebooks. I have heard more cellular adaptor support is coming but I have heard that for a while. Lot of dongles dont even work with Mac's so your better option is a MyFi personal Cellular device. That way you can connect your Chromebook through the WiFi portion of that adaptor.

This discussion has been closed.