W700 issues after upgrading to windows 8.1

kvsmith59
kvsmith59 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I have a W700 that came preinstalled with Windows 8.  I recently upgraded to 8.1 and since then have had problems with mouse acting erratically.  It works ok when I'm just moving around in windows, but when I get on the internet it starts lagging and hoping all over the place.  So, I went on a driver hunt and couldn't find any updated mouse drivers.  (USB mouse)

After spending time trying to fix the mouse issue, I decided I would do a refresh since there is a lot of work related stuff on there that I'm not using anymore (gigabites of stuff).  When I go to update and recovery and click on recover and then "remove everything and reinstall windows", I get a message stating:  "some files are missing.  Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files".  Since I upgraded through windows store, I don't have any installation files.  

If I could resolve the mouse issue, then I can manually unistall the work stuff on the tablet, so I guess that would be the best option.  If I'm stuck with the mouse issue, then how do I go about either refreshing the 8.1 install or rolling it back to 8.0?  

I've spoken with Microsoft and they referred me to Acer with the thought process that the W700 might not be compatible with 8.1, which makes no sense to me.  

Any ideas, help, direction would be greatly appreciated.  Just so you know, I've tried the following:

1.  Unistalled the mouse driver, rebooted, same problem.

2.  Downloaded and installed some drivers from the mouse manufactorer, but that didn't work.

3.  Uninstalled and reinstalled the usb drivers

Thanks,

Kevin

Answers

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter
  • exscentric
    exscentric Member Posts: 78 Troubleshooter

Would guess you've tried this but I'd try the mouse on another computer to be sure it didn't go buggy.

I'd also unplug the mouse and be sure the touch panel is working okay.

Can't imagine a usb mouse not being compatible but you might try another mouse.

As to the restore/refresh, I've read that once you go to 8.1 the restore features may not work.  You should be able to go back to 8 if there are two directories on the drive $Windows.~BT and windows.old but I do not know the procedure.

http://www.eightforums.com/ has a lot of knowledge floating around and there are tutorials that might help on the going back to 8 if you desire.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

You might also try the mouse connected to a powered USB hub. A lot of the issues people are having could be partially explained by lack of power supplied to USB.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kvsmith59

Ethos, thanks, I looked at that but it was dealing with bluetooth and not USB

Excentric - plugged my laptop mouse into it and tried that but same issue.  

Billsey - will try that.  It came with a dock that I think has a powered usb.  Even if that works, it won't be a solution.  This is a computer that I bought for my wife so she could sit on the couch and use it while watching tv, but all she does is ***** about how the touchscreen is too sensitive, etc, hence my attempt to use the mouse and get her off my ***** Smiley Happy

One thing I don't think I mentioned in original post was that it seems to work ok most of the time, but as soon as she launches Chrome or IE, that's when it becomes unusable.  

Thanks for the suggestions!   

• kvsmith59

just tried bluetooth mouse...same thing Smiley Sad

• Acerchad
    Acerchad Member Posts: 1 New User

you need to got power plan. advanced settings.  intel power manegment and thermal something or another and change it to diabled.  All acer w700s must do this

• kvsmith59

what does that do?

• nielo
    nielo Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the exact same Issue and have updated to Windows 8.1 (Never tried a mouse when its was just Windows 8)

I have tried a Dell USB (Corded) Mouse and my Microsoft Mobile Wireless (USB Wi-Fi Dongle type) Mouse and both of these mice *****-out when using Internet Explorer browser and a few other apps. 

It freezes up real baddly and jerks all over the place when trying to move from one part of screen to another or click links - its unusable - but if I use touch screen with my finger it works perfectly fine.

The mouse is like putting so much strain on the CPU or something when the internet is in use.. wierd ay.

Please ACER I bought this W700 over the Microsoft Surface Pro II - please help, this is my 4th Acer laptop / tablet product in 10 years - I dont need regrets about my purchaing choices right now.. argghh.

mines only 1 week old and I need to do my product review still.

• markscg
    markscg Member Posts: 1 New User

my mouse works well when tablet plugged in but unpredictable when on battery. I have made all the power changes I know to make. I travel a lot and got this to have it unplugged. I tried ACER support and it was on no help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

markscg wrote:

my mouse works well when tablet plugged in but unpredictable when on battery. I have made all the power changes I know to make. I travel a lot and got this to have it unplugged. I tried ACER support and it was on no help.

What mouse do you have? How does it connect (USB, USB Wireless, Bluetooth)? When you say unpredictable do you mean it does random things, or does it stop working for a bit after some inactivity, then work OK again unless you don't use it for a while again?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nielo

Heres the fix..

Microsoft

Go to Control panel

select Power option

Set  it to 'Balanced'

select 'Change options'

select 'Change advanced options'

find 'Intel dynamic platform and thermal framework settings'

click +

open Low Power Settings

disable both On Battery and Plugged in.

• peterhuynh90
    peterhuynh90 Member Posts: 1 New User

Can people with this issue confirm? Is it safe for me to upgrade to 8.1?

• nielo
    Yes it's safe but the above settings will need to be applied after the upgrade is completed if you intend on using *any kind of mouse with it (this includes: usb corded, wireless or Bluetooth) I tried them all. I have been using Windows 8.1 for over a month now with no other issues, Acer website does offer driver downloads for W700 upgrading to 8.1 - I think the Lan WiFi drivers are needed as the device manager reported some errors with Bluetooth audio which the drivers are in the Lan/WiFi download for some reason - you can do all that after the upgrade - the device works good on 8.1
  • kanuga
    kanuga Member Posts: 5 New User

I couldn't use bluetooth audio since the 8.1 update (did even a clean reinstall), the whole system freezes if I connect a BT-Audio device.

Now I am using this driver

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Bluetooth&p=3&ft=27&os=30

and everythin is working fine. It's for asus stuff, but they use qualcomm bt-chips too. Use at own risk!

• triskele10
    triskele10 Member Posts: 13 New User

I first did a clean W8 installation with the Acer dvd's and after that updated to W8.1. I didn't update any drivers and so far didn't run in to any problems.

• nielo

I havent even dried to actually use bluetooth audio so I dont know if its has problems - I just dont like seeing devices in my device manager with red x's (or yellow notices what ever they look like) showing they are not working - so maybe I might need the asus driver - see what happens - so far so good no reportable issues other then bluetooth going to sleep and turning off my Microsoft Scult Bluetooth Mouse and Logitec k810 keyboard every now and then requiring a full strength coffee to make them them wake up again or restarting the tablet.

btw I seen in my local Disksmith store yesterday theses exact tablets are now selling for $399 - how can they justify that?

Mine came with a Dock and nice Leather folio cover + the specs alone have it situated in the elite laptop range...

• paulreeves
    paulreeves Member Posts: 2 New User

I have had the same issue with my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and Acer Iconia W700. I can confirm that changing the power settings as described will fix the problem.

This discussion has been closed.