Wireless connection randomly drops or disconnects from my chromebook

wilem6165
wilem6165 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a new acer chromebook that I got for christmas. The issue is that the wifi signal keeps dropping. Why does it do this and how can I fix it? I have an acer aspire laptop and this does not happen.

Answers

• Kribrenn
    Kribrenn Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had the same problem with my C710 since I bought it in June. It randomly disconnects from wifi while all other devices (mac, PC laptop, kindle fire, iPhone) are all still connected. Disconnecting my CB from wifi and reconnecting sometimes works, but not always. Rebooting rarely works. I have tried it on full and low battery, plugged in or not, makes no difference. Sometimes it won't connect for a few hours, sometimes a few days, and even a week once. Sometimes I will have no issues with connectivity for weeks. I have this problem with both public and private wifi. I love my CB when it's connected, but when it's disconnected I can barely even use it! I may try to call acre or google to see if anyone has any more info. I will reply with my results. Wish me luck! ????
  • jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

Chromebooks because of their hardware, poor antenna system or drivers. Have a issue where WiFi signals are reduced faster then say a Windows notebook in general. I can have almost 100% signal on my Toshiba notebook and 60% on my Acer C720 Chromebook. The kicker is that once you drop below a certain threshold you can experience disconnects. You have a couple options. Either keep you Chromebrook closer to your rotuer or add some sort of signal booster AKA range extended to make the signal stronger. Not much improvement you can do with a Chromebook as adding a USB WiFi adaptor will not be possible. That's a plausable solution for a Windows PC but not a Chromebook. 

This discussion has been closed.