Aspire 5755 Will Not Boot

jokeefe102
jokeefe102 Member Posts: 3 New User

My son's Aspire 5755 will not boot.  It is out of warranty.  We ordered the Recovery CD from Acer.  They arrived today.  The system could not be restored from the Recovery CD.  We suspect a hard drive failure.  Would like to buy at 500 GB drive from MicroCenter.  However, we understand that the Recovery CD provided by Acer is configuration specific.   What are our options?  Any ideas wou;ld be helpful.

Answers

• stiller
    stiller Member Posts: 3 New User

when restarting the pc, did yo click f8 every time till you get any menu, there will be different restore points. Or you have black screen and no signs from the start of pc?

• jokeefe102

we have done F8 and attempted to restore tpo a prior good configuration.  The error message refers to an I/O error.  Other options from the F8 (Safe mode; SAfe mode with Command Prompt etc) forces a "reboot to continue windows installation message.  When booting from the sytem restore the recovery process goes through all 5 discs and then stalls with a "cannot complete restoration" message.  It seems like a hard drive failure. 

Can we install a replacement Western Digital 500 GB drive and load the image or is the restore process only applicable to the original drive, manufacturer and type?

Thanks

• jokeefe102

After using the restore process it stops and sends the folloing error message:  Restore failed -- Error code =0x45d (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image : The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Please advise

This discussion has been closed.