Unknow model number by ACER

wings515
wings515 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I am trying to 'help' a freind.  This Acer is an Aspire 5100 that states AMD Turon 64 with XP.  The Acer support link does not have this combination available   The full model is Aspire 5102 WLMi.  Also when I look at the configuration as per the control panel "System" it states 798 MHz 2.62 GB XP 64  but the laptop lable states 1.6GHz with 1GB RAM.  I think I previously installed RAM but why would it not be a multiple of 1, 2 or 4 GB?

The owner wants to upgrade to Win 7 and asked me if I thought this laptop was worth the effot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

wings515

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Welcome aboard, Wings. Here is your situation:

This machine has been modified in more ways than one, so the original model number does not mean much. You can check the original shipping box if you still have it, your Acer sticker if it is still there, and SOMETIMES there is a small metal tag on the bottom with the full model number buried among the other information.

I advise everybody not to change their operating system. If you do, you will delete all of your Acer drivers, as well as any other drivers that were downloaded to deal with the hardware and software you changed.

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

As well you might find this review on the unit interesting.

The unit was based on the 3100 with additions at the time

it came out.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3091

If you want to know exactly what hardware you're running

download Speecy. It gives a full layout of what hardware

is on the unit,

You can get it here. File Hippo has always been safe for me.

Just make sure to uncheck the add-ons like Chrome when it

gets to loading. I use Speecy on all my units.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy/

• wings515
    wings515 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the replies.  The main reason I was looking for the model number was to determine the processor speed and disk size.  The System showed it running at about 700 MHz but the lable had 1.6GHz.  Come to find out it was configured to save battery power and reduced processor speed.  Changed to full speed and boy does this thing fly.  The disk size delema was caused by the original configuration of the drive being partitioned into C: and D: with the user never using D:.  I moved some data files around and opened up alot of space on the C: drive.

The next problem came up after returning the unit to the owner.  I had installed Avast for Virus protection.  It seems his work application does not work well with Avast.  Does anyone have an opinion of WebRoot?  I am considering suggesting this since I hate Norton and MacAfee.

Regards,

wings515

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Don't know about WedRoot but don't like Norton or McAfee either. But, if you're careful to use it properly, I do like McAfee's standalone Stinger freebie. Updated regularly.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

I dislike both MacAfee and Norton. But Avanst and AVG are fine, as well as Windows Defender, as long as you don't leave any credit card numbers, etc., anywhere on your computer.

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

I have used Avira Free on some of my units, but generally go with the paid version of Prem

for 20.00 or so bucks when on sale. Have never had a prob with Avira. On the free version,

a banner opens up to pay for the free version, but one just simply closes it. It does take some

resource, but the protection is first rate for free. It's out of Germany. AV-Comparatives does

tests on all sorts of anti-virus programs and always rates Avira in the top 4. >

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

AV-Comparatives

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparatives-reviews/

If Avira doesn't fit your needs, BitDefender, Kaspersky, G-data, or maybe

FSecure most times offer a free limited AV program, and there is nothing

wrong with Panda. I'll never use anything Symantec or AVG. No thanks.

This discussion has been closed.