Windows product key

Joe_Schmo
Joe_Schmo Member Posts: 3 New User

I recently reinstalled Windows on my Aspire laptop, unfortunately I used the wrong product key for Windows, I forget how I got it but I know it's wrong for 2 reasons. First, I am getting a message saying build 7601 is not genuine ( I realize this is an issue with valid copies of Windows), the other reason I know it is wrong is because the sticker on the back of my laptop is worn badly but I can make out about 80% of the product key and it is not similar to the one I used when I reinstalled Windows. My question is, how do I get my Windows product key?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Joe_Schmo

When you reinstalled Windows, was it from the original recovery disks/partition, or have you upgraded from a previous install of Windows (IE, Vista to 7)?

If it is the original recovery, then Acer OEM versions of Windows do not need a product key. If it is a bought retail upgrade, then the recovery key supplied with the disk is the key to use.

Either way, contact Microsoft for your region, and explain the problem. This should then be able to give you a new product key.

• Joe_Schmo
    Joe_Schmo Member Posts: 3 New User

I did not receive any disks with the purchase of my Acer laptop.  I downloaded a Windows 7 image and installed from that.

• finlux
    If your laptop was originally a Windows 7 machine, it will be worth contacting Acer support to get the correct disks for it.

If they are not available or if it was previously installed with Vista, then you will have to buy a retail copy and use the product key with that.

Good luck
  • kmm
    kmm Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem. I reinstalled W7 with a disk I had on hand but cannot read the key on the bottom of my laptop. MS not helpful. How much for Acer restore disks?
  • finlux
    The disks are not badly priced, but the best thing to do is to go to Acer support for your region and select the recovery disk option.
This discussion has been closed.