Iconia W700 strange screen behaviour

alandpete
alandpete Member Posts: 19 New User

Last weekend we bought a refurbed W700 bundle (keyboard folio) from the Acer Factory Outlet.

It was delivered yesterday afternoon and sadly there is something very wrong with it. I first noticed something odd when I was entering passwords for my email accounts and the keyboard sounds continued after I stopped typing. Then I tried the Acer Ring and it went horribbly wrong from there. Strange circles appeared all over the screen around the ring and the whole page became unresponsive. To get off the page I had to press the Windows button and then various applications opened instead of the Home page. SOmetimes the strange circles carried through to the Home page.

Very sad.

I'm going to contact Acer support this morning once they open but wonder if anyone has seen this before?

We're wondering if this is what was wrong with it when it was returned the first time and wasn't fixed? I suppose only Acer knows that.  We've taken a movie of it with my mobile phone so we can send it to Acer if requested to.

I'll be even sadder if I'm told to pay for postage to send it back one day after recieving it Smiley Sad

Answers

• exscentric
    exscentric Member Posts: 78 Troubleshooter

If you can get to control panel look for tablet pc settings.  There is a calibration area, tap on set to default and see if ot helps.  Sounds like you may have a bad one though I've had some very erratic screen stuff after trying to calibrate.

You could also do a restore to see if that helps.

If it worked at first you could try a restore to previous time.

• alandpete

thanks for that.  

Nope, didn't help.  It seems somehow associated to the Acer Ring application.  That's where the multi touches all over the screen first appear and then they carry to other screens, or if you hit the Windows button various pages/applications attaempt to open. I've sent something to Acer support. I'll see what they come back with/if they come back with anything.

cheers

pete

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Any chance there's a screen protecter installed?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alandpete

Hi billsey

No, no screen protector.

The problem is getting worse. I switched it on last night to show some friends some photos that I'd posted to facebook and the touch 'impressions' appeared on the windows home page straight away. Then random apps started opening.  So very disaapointed.

We're still wondering if it could the Acer Ring application. 

I'd like to do a factory reset and start again but would like Acer to respond to my technical support request before I do anything.

cheers

peter

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yeah, you won't get much joy directly from Acer here... The Acer people help out here on their own time. For direct access to Acer you have to go through the support process.

That being said, I'm guessing you are having issues with the connection cable between the motherboard and the display. It's providing intermittant 'dirty' power and the symptom is random 'touches'. It's best fixed with a trip to Acer since opening things up yourself will just void the warranty, and the warranty might best be the way to get it fixed. You should be able to shut the Acer Ring app down, if nothing else by killing it in Task Manager. I think you'll find that the symptoms persist even when it's not running.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alandpete

Sadly it's all packed up and going back to Acer.

We tried deactivating the Acer ring and amazingly it would just switch itself back on. 

Acer's suggestion was to do a full system install. Of course we didn't have an optical drive so another $80 later we started the system reset... and after many hours it achieved nothing.  If anything the erratic behaviour was even worse.  

We wonder what was wrong with it the first time it was sent back but of course there's no way we can find out. If it was this, then they didn't do much testing to make sure it was fixed. If it was something else then what else will go wrong with the unit.

We'd much prefer to get a replacement but it needs to go back to see if they can fix it first. We're both quite sad because it really seems to be a nice device, well it might, if it worked!

I do have one final question.  We got a unit bundled with the keyboard. The instructions indicate that it should have come with a USB-microUSB connector for charging the keyboard. Is this correct? If yes, then the bundle sent to us didn't include the cable.  Maybe the next one will.

Thanks for your suggestions

Peter 

This discussion has been closed.